17: Remember Me

—SQAISHEYS POV—
After staying by David's side for almost two days I finally saw a glimmer of life inside of him. The doctors said that he was recovering fast, all that he had to deal with was his broken leg.
I looked down at his pale body, knowing he was mine.
Slowly, his eyes began to open, I saw the tint of his perfect blue eyes flicker through his shaking eyelashes.
I smiled at him, leaning forwards and kissing him, touching his cheek ever so slightly. David pulled back slowly in shock, "Where's Joe-" he began,
"He's not our problem. We don't need to hide away anymore." I told him, "I'm yours."
He hesitated before smiling, carefully placing one hand on my cheek and kissing me on the lips, rubbing his fingers through my hair. It made me so glad to see him happy again.

—SQUIDS POV—
After kissing her I felt refreshed, shaken and so relieved..
It was all over, all the hiding our emotions because we didn't want to upset Joe..
this wasn't the outcome I had expected, to tell the truth.
After I was discharged, Beth drove me back to her hotel room, I struggled walking on the crutches, but I was relieved to see the elevator in the front entrance.

When we arrived up in Beth's room, Beth helped me sit down onto the bed. I sighed with relief, knowing everything was over.
Beth lay down beside me,
"Are you alright?" She asked me, touching my cheek.
I blankly smiled, "Yeah."
I looked her in those blue eyes, this is how I always wanted it to be.
Beth crawled over me, locking her lips with mine and rolling up my shirt as I lay completely lost in thought. As I kissed her I thought about meeting her on Christmas Day, she looked so beautiful in red amongst the snowy streets... I remembered merely kissing her hand, feeling so enchanted.. wishing I had gone further yet.. that moment was so perfect.. i felt that even if I could, I wouldn't spoil that beautiful memory of meeting her. The lady in red.
But then my mind casted back to how upset Joe was after he and Beth split..
Do I deserve this? He must be heart broken.. surely they won't get back together again.. but.. Joe was my best friend- and he was really unwell..
I reminded myself of Joe's broken face when he came home early from what was supposed to be a romantic first date with Beth, I recalled him drinking heavily and his eyes crawling with tears..
He loved her so much..
I didn't deserve this..

As Beth kissed my chest I shrivelled back, putting my hand in front of her. I dared to say;
"I'm sorry.. this can't work.." I gulped, feeling overwhelmed.
"Dave?" She questioned, looking in concern,
"Joe's not well, I can't do this to him-"
"For god's sake stop worrying about Joe!" She cried,
"I can't help worrying about him! He's my best mate! Somethings wrong with him and I need to be there for him!" I retaliated,
"Dave.. you're not going back to New York...?"
"I am.." I sighed, "I've got the film to finish.. and I need to see Joe." I told her, putting my shirt back on,
"He's not going to want to see you, David." Said Beth, "I kissed you in front of him, I showed him our texts.."
I bent my head back slightly, my mouth dropping in utter disbelief.
I shook my head, standing up and grabbing my crutch.
"David- David wait!" She cried as I walked towards the door.
I stood and looked at her, "I'm sorry it had to be like this." I told her, putting my hand on her face, "next time you find a man you like.. tell him.. tell him before you date his best friend."
I kissed her forehead, not believing that I was leaving her.. the girl I loved..
"We could have been something.." sighed Beth, her eyes watering as she hugged me,
"Yeah. But we weren't." I replied, looking down. "This was never gonna work."
Beth nodded, looking up at me,
"I can't wait to watch your new film, Coco." She said,
"There's a song in it called 'Remember me'." I said, "it was written by the DAK music company... I remember you telling me you worked for them."
"I do." She said, "I wrote the song.. for you."
I instantly felt tears forming around my eyes, thinking of the lyrics.
"I- I love you." I burst out, my eyes tensing,
"I hope you do well, David." Said Beth, standing in front of me, I nodded.
"I hope I meet you again some day." I told her, almost breaking.
"My lady in red."

I closed the door behind me, limping my way towards the lift.
As I looked at myself in the mirror I felt tears subsiding.
I remembered how breath taken I was when I first saw her on Christmas, with her red lips and coat, her gorgeous accent and her eyes..
I had my chance to be with her now.. but it just felt so wrong.. I had to leave her.. I had made my decision and that the person I valued the most was my friend. My best friend. Joe.
And I needed to get to him quickly.. I needed him back.