Six

MERRY CHRISTMAS! I've been waiting to upload this story, so I hope you enjoy. x

I was bouncing my leg up and down nervously as I checked my watch again. I sighed and rubbed my sweaty palms against my pants. I'm in Toronto for Christmas, and Robyn is supposed to be here too, but her flight has gotten delayed twice today because of the snow.

I haven't heard from her in a while, so I was hoping she was finally on the plane. I was sitting in the living room of my penthouse, alone. I was planning on proposing to Robyn tonight and then spending tomorrow with her and with my family. The fact that she still isn't here is making me even more anxious than I already was.

I was snapped out of my thoughts as my phone vibrated in my pocket. I grabbed it and saw that it was Robyn. I smiled as I quickly answered and put the phone up to my ear.

"I'm freaking out here over here, Rob. Were you able to get on the plane?"

I heard her sigh on the other line. "I-I'm not gonna be able to make it to Toronto, baby. My flight got cancelled. I'm so sorry."

My heart sunk. I rubbed my hand along my forehead and then responded. "Did you check the flights for tomorrow morning?"

"Yeah, I did. They've already cancelled most of the flights up there tomorrow too because of the snow but not all of them. I think it's just in case the storm lets up."

"I-it's okay, Robyn. I appreciate you trying so hard to get up here."

"Aubrey-"

"No, for real, it's okay, Rob. You can't control the weather," I said as I forced out a little laugh.

"I'm still gonna try and get there tomorrow. I'm checking the flights in the morning."

"It's Christmas tomorrow, Rob, the airport is gonna be fucking insane."

"I don't care. I wanna spend Christmas with you," she told me which made me smile a little.

"Alright, well, keep me updated on what you're doing and stay safe, okay? I love you so much."

"I love you too. I will."

"Bye, baby."

I put my phone down on the couch and leaned forward, resting my elbows on my thighs and my head in my hands. My plan was to take Robyn to Fring's and then propose to her in Ripley's aquarium.

Fuck the winters in Canada.

I sat up and reached in my pocket to grab the small, velvet box that held her engagement ring. I opened it and there sat that huge diamond. I smiled as it shimmered in front of me. I bought the ring a month after we started dating. Crazy, I know, but I've always known she'd be the one I'd spend the rest of my life with. 

I sighed as I closed the box and walked over to my large window overlooking the city. I stood there for awhile just watching the snow come down. Tonight was supposed to be special, and now here I am, spending Christmas Eve alone. I saw my reflection in the window and turned around.

Wow. I looked pathetic.

I made my way to my room to go to bed and put an end to today. I stripped of the sweater and dress pants I was wearing and grabbed a pair of sweats to put on. I grabbed the ring out of my pant pocket and put it in the drawer of my nightstand. I was hoping I'd never have to hide it in there again after tonight.

I was closing the drawer as I heard my phone ding, indicating that I got a text. It was a picture from Robyn and she was flipping off the monitor at the airport that said her flight was cancelled. It made me laugh as I responded.