Part 7: Schemes

Sebastian withdrew to his chambers, slumping onto the chaise-longue and resting the back of his palm on his forehead.

"What am I doing?" he thought to himself, realizing that he destroyed the life of that lad – with such a fracture, he'll never be as good at archery as he was.

Not that he cared, of course – that scoundrel deserved every ounce of pain he felt, because of obvious reasons.

"No one shall touch what's mine."

Anyway, long time passed since he proved himself to be menacing, therefore this incident will remind everyone just how ruthless he can be.

Ever since that day...

~

The sounds of booming cannons raged outside, as Sebastian was ordered to hide in the castle by his father, who commandeered the army at this very moment.

"Mother," Sebastian called, hoping that his mother will listen to him once again. "I want to go. I can help them!"

She rushed from the other ladies and children of the Castle back to her son, cupping his face in her arms. "Sebastian, I know you're strong. I would be an utter fool to deny it. But there's just... too many of them and you're—"

"I can't stay here!"

His mother opened her mind to protest once again when the heavy door shut behind them thundered ominously.

Everyone turned their heads towards the sound, hearing their mad war cries.

"Everyone, follow me, quickly!" Sebastian's mother yelled.

As everyone rushed behind his mother, Sebastian didn't budge – he stood and watched the door, waiting for it to be broken, just so that he can face the scum for himself.

"Seb, please!"

But there she was – the only being in the world that had any say in his actions – his mother. He turned his head towards her as she called him over, and he obeyed.

The plan was to escape through the tunnel leading to the gardens and then retreat to the woods, with hopes of shaking them off; after all, this was the last call of their survival, but Sebastian had vowed to himself to protect everyone.

They only managed to reach the middle of the gardens when they ambushed them.

The minute he saw their hulking bodies laced with pumping veins, covered with rough fur, and their canine fangs, overflowing with slime... In that instant, he attacked.

He attacked with the notion in his head to protect everyone and didn't blink while slaughtering, splashing their dark blood on the grass and flowers.

But then, the most horrifying sound in the whole Universe reached his ears – his mother's scream.

At that instant, all the sounds got muted out and the vision got red as he turned around just in time to see one of them plunge its claw straight through his mother's chest.

He knew he screamed, but he didn't hear it. With his supernatural speed he jumped on the back of the abominable creature and ripped its head off, tossing it aside like the trash it is.

He cradled his mother in his lap, sobbing like a little child; his love for his mother was unconditional.

"Be brave, Seb. Be strong." She whispered faintly, as she caressed Sebastian's cheek, into which he snuggled.