Part 9: Misfortune

"Must we give him what he wants, your Excellence?" inquired Abelard, one of Blackwood's two advisors.

No one has heard the two speak in public, in the presence of someone other than Blackwood himself. It's like that at all times – they do not interfere with whatever Blackwood has to say during the meetings or any other events, they always speak their mind after, and all three of them discuss the following actions and ideas. The closest thing to a sentence that someone had witnessed either Abelard or Lucian produce was a discrete whisper, given Blackwood directly to the ear.

"For now, I'm afraid so." Blackwood hummed deep in thought, eyes glued to the flames in the fireplace. "After these 10 years he's restless – he wants his damn title. He's going for the Emperor, I know it."

"But it's impossible, your Excellence." remarked Lucian in a haughty manner. "No one would dare to oppose you."

"I'm afraid that sly bat would." Blackwood spat out, the reflection of flames in his eyes growing taller out of his own odium.

"He's an old vampire, d'Arques – and a strong one. He's a serious threat to our system. Always been." Abelard noted with serious expression on his square face.

"I've realized that 10 years ago when he went against the Pact of Parity." Blackwood continued smoothing the ends of his thin mustache with the tips of his fingers.

"If he'd really prove himself a fool by carrying out public acts of harassment, I must agree that he's a mighty enemy. Not to mention his hatred for werewolves – once he's already slain the majority of van Lupes, there's no guarantee he won't do it again."

"Bah, the van Lupes...They will continue to hate each other either way. The real problem is that we can't predict –"

"Predict how d'Arques will behave towards the Board?" Lucian interrupted Blackwood and for that the latter glared at the former. "Are you afraid he's going to slaughter us, your Excellence?"

"I'm not afraid of anything!" Blackwood thundered, barely restraining himself from trembling.

Lucian was always the insolent one, but he was reasonable and cunning – that's why Blackwood kept him by his side for so long.

"I'm not afraid." Blackwood repeated to himself, desperately trying to believe it.

~

Esmeralda was arranging the flower bouquets for some fancy breakfast with important people that will be held tomorrow morning by the Nixes. Christine made her do it, and frankly, Esmeralda didn't mind – she loved flowers and anything that was related to them.

The only thing that bothered her was the fact that she does all this beauty for the likes of Nixes.

Cressida hates her, and Esmeralda was sure that the rest of the Nixes do too. Their family is one of the few pureblood vampire families, and unfortunately, a self-conceited one, strongly believing in the supremacy of the vampire race.

Sebastian was gone for almost two days now – he left in such a hurry the last time Esmeralda spoke to him about something that had to do with a late invitation.

Esmeralda sighed as she wrapped up the last of the beautiful bouquets and stepped back to admire her work. The long, rich, sturdy wooden table seemed truly great: the black silk tablecloth was of finest quality, adorned with an occasional golden candlestick and bouquets of dark red roses that Esmeralda just finished arranging.

She sighed in relief that she did a good job before glancing at the huge round clock framed with bronze intricacies hanging high above the double door – it was almost 9 o'clock in the evening.