Part 6: Breaking point

"Oh, my fair Lady, you're welcome at our castle anytime!" Grand Duke Walton grasped Esmeralda's palms with both of his, expressing immense gratitude.

"Thank you, Grand Duke Walton, I'll keep that in mind." Esmeralda beamed at him, showing the row of straight teeth.

Grand Duke Walton stood in front of Esmeralda and continued to thank her, while his wife and son stood by the carriage. King Sebastian stood further behind Esmeralda, calmly regarding the situation with faint smile.

The pomposity was nearing its end, thus Grand Duke went to exchange a few words with King Sebastian for the last time, while Esmeralda laid her doe eyes on Stefan. He clung to his mother's skirt timidly before Esmeralda beckoned him to come closer.

He smiled shyly and proceeded to walk towards Esmeralda with small steps. She crouched to his level, taking his palms into hers.

"How are you feeling, Stefan?"

Wide and thankful smile spread across the boy's face, expressing gratitude. "I'm fine, my Lady. Thank you for saving me..."

"You're welcome, little boy. I wouldn't have done otherwise." She spoke in such a tone that made Stefan continue smiling on and on. "I'm sorry I can't marry you, I still have to do some things here."

The boy blushed immensely, what made Esmeralda giggle. "You'll find a decent lady, I promise."

Stefan was going to say something, but his mother called him over.

"Bye now, go to your mommy." Esmeralda strengthened her grasp on his palms for a second, before letting him go.

He ran a few steps away, but then stopped and turned around to regard Esmeralda with his watery eyes. She felt a pang in her chest upon seeing the little boy sad, but then he ran back to her and hugged her with bear strength.

Esmeralda placed her palms upon Stefan's back, softly embracing him before he ran back to his family.

She watched as their carriage rode away, waving goodbye to Stefan with a longing smile.

"The boy took quite a liking in you." Sebastian hummed as they made their way towards the castle.

Esmeralda couldn't help but smile. "I'm good with children, my –"

Sebastian didn't let Esmeralda finish her sentence because he came to a total halt, regarding her with a stern yet pleading look. "Please. To you, I'm just Sebastian."

She watched as the corners of his lips rose ever so slightly, making her blush to the oblivion. She produced a crooked smile, feeling perplexed due to all the mixed feelings.

She wanted to protest once more, as she always did – he's a King, after all. But that little voice inside of her that she's been trying to shut down as soon as it revealed itself, that voice told her to surrender.

"Sebastian," she repeated, afterwards feeling dazed – it felt like a boulder that rolled down her shoulders and somehow she felt like she's gotten one step closer to breaking his impenetrable walls.

Esmeralda felt butterflies flying in her stomach when she saw that he smiled a bit wider. "Better."

They continued marching and Esmeralda thought that she will be allowed to wallow in her dreams, but Sebastian spoke once again. "What are you doing in the afternoon?"

Her heart fluttered once again – actually, it did every time Sebastian spoke to her.

"Uh, I guess I'll go and tend the garden a bit."

He released an airy breath, as if he was surprised and laughed it off. "Don't you do that every day?"

"I do," She thought. "Because no one else looks after it."