Part 8: General Meeting

Sebastian ran his slender fingers through the spines of ancient books, neatly sorted in the shelves. Most of these books contained many secrets unknown to everyone else.

Kings of the Northern Empire – Sebastian picked this thick book up, brushing the dust off of it. The title sounds impossibly boring, but the contents are of indescribable value. This ancient, tattered book was responsible for the revelations he made that led him to pursue the sovereign title of the Emperor.

As the years went by, the book was being filled by hand, different kinds of penmanship adorning its yellowy pages, telling the stories and backgrounds of every vampire that once held the King's title. The last entry was that of his father's, started many years ago, but finished with a bitter heart of Sebastian himself.

He then pondered who's going to write a chapter of his own rule before brushing the thought off completely, realizing that he's not going to perish any time soon, hell no. If the odds are in his favor, which seems likely, he will never die – the idea of death seemed truly ridiculous to him, seeing that he was perfect at inflicting fear in others, thus no one would even dare to think about wrongdoing him.

He put the book on the desk with the means of inspecting it later and started calmly pacing around the Study.

Everything was going perfect – no one could make out his real motives. In fact, it made him even more excited – just imagine everyone's reaction when he will get what he seeks.

There was just one, tiny bump in the smooth plan of his...

Esmeralda.

No matter how many possibilities he would think of, he couldn't properly decide what to do with her. Seeing her true ancestry, she would be invaluable if she'd stay by his side, perhaps even rule with him. But he couldn't anticipate what she would do once she finds out the truth about her and his approach to her – concealing everything forever is absolutely out of the question; even Sebastian understands that the truth always finds its way out.

Of course, he knew she's absolutely smitten with him – it was as clear as day, and the blush that crept up to her cheeks every time he'd talk to her confirmed that. He could feel that she's attracted, and he enjoyed it, he enjoyed making her flustered, making her confused.

Also, he wondered if he enjoys it more than he should.

~

Esmeralda barricaded herself in her room, trying to process the events of the past hour.

Sebastian has plans for her? Why? When? Why her???

So many questions pried her mind, and for a second she genuinely thought she was losing her mind. Why it is so that all these years she'd lived here had been so peaceful and quiet and now everything seems so suspicious and mysterious?

"I've never should've question my stay here." Esmeralda thought to herself, pacing around the room.

Suddenly, she stopped in her tracks, realizing something that, under different circumstances, would be completely obvious to her. Once she questioned her purpose here, she caused some ruckus, therefore, that's exactly what she needs to do – she need to keep prying, and eventually (at least she hoped so) some answers will emerge.

"The Study," she thought immediately. "I'll definitely find something there."

That's exactly where she stormed off, hoping that she won't run into Sebastian.

She tried to keep a low profile, calmly strolling across the corridors, making her way to the Study. The room had a special place in Esmeralda's heart, with all the books and memories with Sebastian, but this time she's doing something she definitely shouldn't do.