Part 14: Sanguinalia

Cedric was pacing around Sebastian's study, casually looking around and examining various trinkets, all the while Sebastian had his almost murderous gaze fixed on his younger brother.

"Why did you come back?" he asked, tracing Cedric's movements carefully.

"I was bored," Cedric breathed out. "Besides, heard there's finally some fun here – executions and stuff."

Sebastian remained silent.

"I reckon Blackwood wasn't too pleased about that?" Cedric asked slyly.

"Why don't you go back to your whoring around and leave everything to me, as you always did?" Sebastian retorted.

Cedric didn't lose his cool in the slightest, what annoyed Sebastian even more. "Oh, brother, I hear you have some fine whores here yourself. Mind sharing your favorite concubine?"

Cedric always had this maddening effect on Sebastian. The latter could barely stand here without thinking about smashing his stupid brother into the wall.

"She's not my concubine."

"Alright, yes. We both know that she's so much more than just a maid, too..."

Does he... does he know?

"What do you mean?" Sebastian asked coolly.

Cedric's ruby eyes glinted as he smirked at his brother. "I think you know."

Sebastian knew that Cedric wants to provoke him, thus he tried to restrain himself. He laughed quietly.

"What, then? You've come to try and oppose me?"

"Actually, dear brother, I've come to help you." Cedric's face grew more serious. "Honestly, I've gotten tired of this lifestyle I'm leading now, and I've decided to help you become the Emperor."

Frankly, Sebastian was at a loss. This was his most secret desire, and yet his brother knew about it.

Cedric noticed his brother's perplexity. "I was always the sneaky and quiet one, Seb. Or did you forget?"

"I did, actually." Muttered Sebastian, thinking about what else Cedric could've figured out.

Does he know that he's lost himself in Esmeralda? Does he know that these Emperor schemes of his are currently quite unstable, because of her? Does he know that she affects him so ardently as to make him even think about changing the course of his plans?

"Why do you keep up with her, anyway? Why not just get rid of her?"

Sebastian thought a bit before answering. "Flash the lamb a blade and the fear will foul the meat."

"What? You planning on eating her after?"

Sebastian rolled his eyes. "No, you stupid lout. I mean that she's more useful to me alive than dead."

Sebastian rubbed the bridge of his nose to ease the prickling, uncomfortable sensation whenever he had to speak foul about her. He didn't mean it, but it was imperative that Cedric thought he did. No one should know the truth about Sebastian's feelings for Esmeralda. Sometimes Sebastian wished he was oblivious about them himself.

"Whatever." sighed Cedric, clearly bored already. "So, mind showing me back to my regal chambers?"

Sebastian sighed. "Just get out."

~

Esmeralda whined, mid-asleep, when the sun rays snuck through the little crack between the curtains and tried to pry her eyes open.