Nine

"One word at a time," Samantha instructed Alec from the other side of the phone, her voice calm and controlled, as if she was thinking about a nice warm bath.

  "Lilia. Is. Dying!"

  "Don't be an idiot. Is she having the contractions?" 

  "Yes!"

  "Okay. How long are they apart?"

  "Three minutes!"

  "Would you get calm yourself? It sounds like you're the one giving birth."

  "She's dying!"

  "Alec!"

  "Samantha!"

  "Alec Frost!"

  "Samantha Johann!"

  From the bed, Lilia wheezed out, "I swear, if I survive this -- oh, God! -- I'm going to kill the both of you."

  As he phone had been on speaker, Alec quickly dropped it not the side of the bed and went closer to Lilia. "I'm sorry. I don't know what to do when my wife is dying! You didn't prepare me for this!"

  "Okay," pushing herself to sit up, Lilia put a hand over her enlarged stomach and took a deep breathe. She then turned towards Alec and shot him a venomous glare. "Get outta here and grab the car, dickhead! Brat Jr. is coming!"

  "What car?"

  Lilia didn't have to do anything, since Samantha was already screaming at him from the phone, "your car! That awful black piece of crap!"

  When Alec hurried out of the room, Samantha let out a frustrated huff and said, "I starting to question his mental health, Lia."

  "He wouldn't have - goodness! - gotten into the navy - oh, dear Lord! - if he was mentally unstable. He's just an idiot."

  "Hey, hey," Samantha cooed, "you'll be alright."

  "I certainly hope so. Did it hurt this much when - shit - Willa was born?"

  "Oh, honey, the climax is yet to come. But it's all gonna be worth it."

  "Well," standing up on her feet, Lilia went to the other side of the bed and picked up the phone in her hand, "unless I give birth to Bradley Cooper, nothing's gonna be worth this stupid - holy - pain!"

  "You and your Bradley," Lilia could practically see her best friend rolling her eyes. She then turned into a serious tone and asked, "you'll be going to the Eastern hospital, right?" Without giving Lilia a chance to reply, she reassured, "I'll be there."

  Alec came storming through the door. "C'mon, I brought the car out."

  "Thank Lord. Hey Sam, see you there, yeah?"

  "Unless-"

  Lilia hung up without giving her a chance to say something weird.

  The ride to the hospital was painful, to say in the least. With every passing minute, the contractions got closer and closer, making Lilia squirm in her seat.

  Alec's one hand rested on top of Lilia's, and he gave her an assuring squeeze every time her contractions hit. He wasn't really of much help, but the safety that Lilia felt because of his presence was enough to keep her going.

  Whatever happened in the hospital until she was taken to the reliever room was an absolute mess. Lilia only remembered screaming at Alec whenever he slowed down, and then screaming in general at the pain.