10: Different

"This is a really good sandwich." Emery said with a smile. They had gone to some small biker dive dinner, one the Jace picked out. Jace seemed tense, he wasn't cracking as many jokes as he usually did and sure wasn't eating like himself.

"Yeah." Jace mumbled. Emery looked into his golden eyes and sighed. She had tried to ignore how off key he seemed, she tilted her head slightly and scrunched her eyes.

"Are you alright?" Emery asked him, setting down her sandwich to look at Jace. Jace was staring at his plate. He had hardly eaten his food, only half his sandwich and a few fries was what he ate. Jace looked up at Emery from under his eye lids, not moving his head.

"Yeah Clary and I just got into a fight." Jace rolled his head around a bit, a nervous tick of his. His blonde hair fell on his neck as he tried to change the subject. Jace really didn't want to talk about his fight with Clary to Emery. How could he tell Emery that Clary was mad they were going to get food?

"That sucks." Emery said, then mentally slapped herself. That's all she could come up with? Then again, she was never good at consulting people. "What about?" Emery asked. Jace let out a small laugh, a sarcastic laugh.

"It's nothing." Jace said then shoving his sandwich into his mouth. Emery gave him a side glance. Jace sighed before he looked at Emery. "It was just a fight-"

"Do you guys fight often?" Emery then asked him, it was an impulsive question. Emery hadn't meant to say it, it just came out that way. "I'm sorry I didn't mean for that to come out." She apologized. Emery couldn't help but be impulsive when she was concerned about someone.

"We fight-" He pauses to lick his lips, "We fight a lot." Jace told her, nodding his head. He knew it wasn't right to be spilling Clary and his dirty laundry to Emery, especially when Clary was mad about him and Emery. "About tiny things. About big things." Jace told her. "But I love her, so none of that matters."

Emery narrowed her eyes at him. Trying to figure out if he was lying or if he did actually love her. He had to love her, after everything they went though? Right? Of course he cares about her but if they fought that much then did he really love her?

"What is she mad about now?" Emery asked, it seemed like an okay thing to ask. Jace had just told her about another part of his relationship and besides their friends, so what was the harm? Emery picked up her food and continued to eat her food.

"Ironic." Jace snickered lightly. "She's mad that we were going to get food." Emery widened her eyes at him before throwing a fry at his head. Jace ducked, his face spread wide with a smile.

"Jace!" Emery scolded to him. "You can't argue with her about me. If she can't get that we're friends that's her problem but she's your girlfriend." Emery told him, Jace rolled his eyes. Emery thought he should care more that Clary was mad. But instead he just pushed it off  and continued to eat his food.

"Everything will be fine. Clary and I-" He shook his head, then let a smile play on his lips. "Clary and I always make it out alright." Jace pushes his golden hair back out of his face while continuing to eat his food.

Emery figured this was a good place to stop talking about him and Clary. Emery wasn't sure if she could handle talking about Clary anymore. It wasn't that she didn't like Clary, it was that she did. Clary was nice and strong and beautiful and just what Jace needed in his life. But Emery couldn't help her feelings for Jace, that whenever she was with him she was happier. Not like how Izzy made her happy. It was different. It was always different with Jace.

~~~~~~~~
A/n
Word Count: 686