14: Silence

They were chasing a demon through the woods. Their feet hit the ground in complete silence. Silence was all there was, Jace wasn't speaking at all. His face was like stone, carved and chiseled. For the first time in months the mission was silent. Usually there some snarky comments between everyone. But today there was silence.

Clary stuck close to Jace. When Emery had gone to get Clary, choosing to get her over Jace, the two of them were tangled up together in her sheets. She remembered it clearly.

Emery wasn't happy that she had to get Clary. But it was either this or go and get Jace. And Jace was the last person she wanted to talk too, and she was sure he felt the same way. It was early, before the sun rose, when the alarm sounded. Isabelle and Emery had been up working out and watching the alarm.

Emery knocked on Clary's door, no answer. "Hey Clary we have to go there a mission." Still morning but silence. Emery took in a deep breath and rolled her eyes before she pushed the door open. "Clary seriously-" She stopped talking, blinking and trying get the image out of her mind fast.

There was Clary, laying in bed. With Jace, neither of them had any clothes on. The only thing covering them was Clary's white silk sheets. Emery turned and covered her eyes. Her heart was lodged in her throat, trying to think of anything to say but all she could think of was the fact that they were naked in bed together.

Jace and Clary just looked at her, then at each other. Jace hadn't told Clary why he was upset last night. He had just come into her room with a stayed face and started kissing her. Clary was so happy that he was there that she didn't even bother asking him what was wrong.

"Mission." Was all that fell from her lips. Not even a full sentence, just a single word. Jace scuffed before tossing himself out of Clary's bed, walking right past Emery without a word.

Emery moved faster then everyone else, probably a product of her spending years on the Task Force. Clary and Simon fell slightly behind everyone else. Alec, Izzy and Jace kept up with Emery for the most part. Emery knew she was moving this fast because of what had happened both last night and this morning. The stress and anger she had built up hadn't been entirely released while sparing with Izzy for hours last night. She had been up for over two days straight.

Alec was the first one to speak, not caring if there was tension or not, caring that everyone stayed together. "Emery slow down." He spoke quietly, Emery visibly stopped for a moment before starting again at a slower pace. This time Clary and Simon had no problem keeping up with the others.

"The demon isn't far ahead." Emery voice was calm, she sounded like a robot. It started Isabelle to hear her speak in such a tone. Izzy glanced at Jace who didn't even seem phased by Emery, but held his head to the ground.

Emery took off, to the left of where the group had been heading. Jumping over fallen trees and running over swigs. Not once she trip or even look like she was going too. She was gracious and felt at home in the woods.

Jace sighed knowing he was the only one who was going to be able to keep up with her. He glanced at Isabelle before taking off after her, the rest of the team followed at a distance. They just couldn't keep up.

When Jace caught up to Emery she didn't even look at him. If he was going to ignore her then she was going to ignore him as well. The two of them flew though the forest. Moving in complete sync, never once even looking at each other.

Then they came up onto the demon, it was moving through the forest. Crushing anything in its past, it was loud and it was crying. This kind of demon couldn't see them but it could hear them. Jace and Emery wondered around either side of the demon without a word. In complete silence. Just when Emery was about to take her shot at the demons head, the rest of the team came upon where they stood.

Emery let her arrow fly, but from where Clary stood it looked as if Emery had raised her bow at Jace. "Jace!" Clary cried, catching the demons attention, causing the demon to move and Emery's arrow to graze Jace's arm. The demon crawled over the trees that had been kicked down either, running towards Clary's scream.

The team scattered around every side of the demon as if searched for any sound. Alec and Emery both held their bows high looking at the demon, Izzy's whip laid at her side. Jace, Clary and Simon all held their Sereph blades at the ready.

The demon could hear their heartbeats. But found itself confused at to who it was supposed to go after. Emery could feel her heart rate increase at the demon swiveled it's head towards Jace.

The demon turned suddenly and lunged at Emery. She managed to let three arrows fly into the demon before it landed on top of her. Her body was pinned under the demon as it scratched and bit at her. She could feel her forearms being torn to shreds by the demons claws and teeth. It seemed like forever before the demons body went limp and disappeared.

Emery laid with her arms on either side of her body, staring at the sky just hearing her heart beat, it was fading and everything hurt. Her body was on fire and she wasn't sure how to make it stop. She couldn't move her arms to grab her Steele and she couldn't hear anything but her own heartbeat.

"Emery!" Izzy called, her whip cooking around her arm as she fell to the ground in pain. Alec let arrow after arrow fly into the demon until it vanished. Izzy laid on the ground in pain, feeling everything that Emery felt. Simon rushed to her side, pulling her to him, trying anything to make her feel alright, despite knowing that she was only feeling Emery's pain.

Alec had always been the calm one when someone got hurt. He only spared Isabelle a glance before following Jace over to Emery. Jace had pulled his Steele from his side and began rapidly drawing runes across Emery's body. Tracing Iratze runes across her sides and her arms.

Emery could feel the Steele pressing against her body, she could feel several Steele's pressed against her skin. But she still couldn't seem to focus on anything. All she could hear was, silence.

~~~~~~~~~
A/n
Word Count: 1147