eleven

Things seemed to go back to a somewhat normal state after that. We hung out, we talked, we laughed. All was well with the world, and with us it seemed as well. I felt no worries and no pressure. Ethan wasn’t forcing himself onto me in any way, but he was definitely putting in effort.

He had gotten me flowers, food, late movie nights, mind-clearing walks through our favorite forest path, and the occasional late night phone that ended with the sunrise. In all honesty, I felt closer to him than I had before. It felt like a good change, but nothing life changing, at least not right now, and I was okay with that.

I sat on my couch deeply in tune with my newest book, when I was suddenly startled into reality by a knock at my door. Marking my page, I set my book on the coffee table and made my way to the door.

I opened it to find none other than Ethan Dolan standing on my doorstep, grin plastered on his face with his hands behind his back.

“Well hello.” I said, eyeing him up and down.

“Hello indeed.” He said, the smirk holding strong.

“You have something you wanna share with the class?” I asked, folding my arms as
I leaned against my doorway.

“Only if you pick the right hand.” He teased, leaning closer to me.

I narrowed my gaze on him and couldn’t help but smile.

“How about that lucky left hand?” I questioned nodding in its direction.

Ethan flushed slightly before whipping out a small bouquet of very straight looking flowers from behind his back. My smile widened as I took them in my hands.

“The guy said they’re called ‘snapdragons’, I just thought they looked cool.” He shrugged, his eyes glancing down at his worn vans.

“I think they’ll look even cooler on my kitchen counter, you wanna come inside?” Ethan lifted his face quickly, accepting my invitation.