Chapter 5) Feast.

When Dumbledore had sat down again, everyone clapped and cheered, me almost dying of laughter doing so. Harry turned to Percy and they struck up a conversation about Dumbledore's mental health, Ron talking to Seamus and Dean, both in our year, whilst I chatted to Hermione.

"Are you excited for lessons?" I asked her, piling my plate full of the delicious looking food which had just appeared on the plates. "Oh yes! I've been reading all kinds of books on magic, just to be careful, I'm muggleborn, see? So naturally I have no idea what kinds of things to expect. I can do a few spells, and I'm really looking forward to Charms and Transfiguration. Potions looks fun, but the professor is supposed to be horrible to students." She replied in one breath, making my eyebrows raise.

"Damn. Okay. I'm looking forward to lessons as well. It will be fun to learn how to do magic with a wand and not without." I said, making her eyes widen. "You can do wandless magic? But that's extremely difficult! Most adult wizards can't do that! That's amazing!" We smiled at each other and continued to chat among ourselves, that was, of course, until I noticed that pudding was on the table.

I reached for the treacle tart at the same time as Harry and our fingers touched, making us both blush as I split the tart in half, handing one piece to him and smiling warmly at him.

I turned back to Hermione, who was watching me with a smirk. "You like him." She said, not asking but stating it as if it was a fact. "I don't know what your talking about." I lied, my face Weasley red as I took bites of the delicious treacle tart.

When me and Hermione finished talking, we joined the others in a conversation of family. "I'm half and half. Me dads a muggle. Mam didn't tell him she was a witch 'til after they were married. Bit of a nasty shock for him when he found out." Seamus said, making us all laugh.

"What about you Neville?" Ron asked Neville, who's eyes widened at the thought of someone wanting to include him in a conversation. "Well, my gran brought me up and she's a witch, but the family thought I was all Muggle for ages. My great-uncle Algie kept trying to catch me off guard and force some magic out of me- he pushed me off the end of Blackpool Pier once, I nearly drowned - but nothing happened until I was 8. Great-uncle Algie came round for tea and he was hanging me out of an upstairs window by my ankles when my great-auntie Enid offered him a meringue and he accidentally let go. But I bounced - all the way down the garden and into the road. They were all really pleased. Gran was crying she was so happy. And you should have seen their faces when I got in here. They thought I might not be magic enough to come, see. Great-uncle Algie was so pleased he bought me my own toad."

By the end of Neville's story everyone who had heard he had the magic squeezed out of him was rolling around and laughing. It was quite an amazing story. I was starting to feel warm and sleepy, and I unconsciously leaned against Harry as my eyes started to droop.

Harry put an arm around my shoulder and smiled, a small blush creeping up his cheeks. A shallow skinned, hook nosed teacher with greasy black hair looked harry in the eye, and his scar started to burn. I shot up from his shoulder when he let out a cry of pain, his hand clamped over the scar on his forehead.

At last, the puddings had disappeared and Professor Dumbledore rose to his feet again. The hall fell silent. "Ahem. Just a few more words now that we are all fed and watered. I have a few start of term announcements I wish to give you. First-years should note that the forest in the grounds is strictly forbidden to all students." His eyes flickered to me "And some of our older students would do well to remember this also." His eyes lingered on the Weasley twins.

"I have also been asked by Mr. Filch, the caretaker, to remind you that no magic should be used between classes in the corridors. Quidditch trials will be held in the second week of term. Anyone interested in playing for their house should contact Madam Hooch. This, however, does not include first years. And finally, I must tell you all that this year, the third floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. And now, before we go to bed, let us sing our school song." I couldn't help but giggle as the teachers smiles seemed to become more fixed.