Chapter 6

I dressed in a simple, long blue dress and crept outside. I managed to sneak by all the guards, except Marious.

After a few minutes of persuasion I made my way, alone, to the garden.

Darien wasn’t there and, seeing as his mind was temporarily cutting me off, I couldn’t see where he was; so once again, I made my way to the center of the maze.

I sat there for several minutes until someone put their hands over my eyes, making me gasp.

Guess who?

I sighed, “You frightened me.”

He laughed and then came over and leaned against the corner of the bench, sitting on the arm. “I knew it would, you’re so jumpy.”

“I am not.”

He stared at me and raised his eyebrows.

I looked down at my hands, “I’m not that jumpy.”

Aren’t you?

“Why do you keep doing that? We’re right next to each other.” He smiled at me

Does it annoy you?

“Yes, actually.” He laughed again and took a seat next to me, tilting his head back.

Then there’s no way I’m going to stop.

He had wing, but not like Alex’s that spread out in layers of shadowy feathers, they were smaller and reminded me more of dragon wings. She imagined they would feel like smooth, worn leather. When I looked closely, I could see a small iron ring clipped through the top of the right wing. A small piercing to keep him both strong, and weak, for iron was poisonous to fey.  Although the effects were not severe on court fey, it still ailed then.

As we sat in silence, he stared up at the clouds, and I stared at him.

 In that moment he looked incredibly human. So much so, that I had to point out certain features. His spiked blue, black hair that seemed to glint like metal, his purple eyes that were silted, like a cat’s, at times, the way his skin was too pail, and, most of all, the presence I felt in the back of my mind, causing me to push away my thoughts before he could read them and looked down at my hands.

No. Dangerous. Fey.

I didn’t know I had actually thought it until I looked up. Darien was staring at me.

Yes?

I looked away. Nothing.

It’s not nothing. Tell me.

No.

Please?

No.

I felt him start to reach into my mind and I panicked. I covered my ears and shut my eyes tight. “No!”

He retreated and I calmed down, removing my hands, but keeping my eye closed.

Why are you so afraid? I won’t hurt you. I promises.

You’re dangerous. All of you are.

He sighed; Does my word mean nothing to you?

The word of fey is everything. Fey cannot lie.

Darien took my hand and looked at me with pleading eyes. Then trust me.

I pulled my hand away. I can’t.

You can.

I’m scared.

He wrapped his arms around me so that I couldn’t see him, and placed his chin in the crook of my neck.

I’ll protect you. I promise.