21

I lay on my bed, staring up at the white ceiling above me. A patch of paint was peeling in the corner.

I'd never noticed that before.

I'm always looking down.

I thought about everything that had happened that day.

My breakdown.

My dad.

Sam.

Why was he being so nice to be? I didn't deserve it.

Selfish. Making people pity you.

It's true. I was selfish. Sam had enough to worry about without my problems weighing him down.

My phone pinged. Sighing, I turned over to see what it was.

New message. From Sam?

Sam: Hi Mols. I have a feeling you weren't planning to text me. I get it. That's why I'm starting the convo.

I sighed. I turned my phone over and lay back down, closing my eyes.

Silence filled the room, but even so it was overwhelmingly loud. I could hear the blood in my ears. My heart pumping. The gentle rush of air against the window.

Another ping. Another text.

Sam: Molly? Please answer. I want to know you're okay.

You don't need him. You have me to talk to.

Molly: I don't need you.

Sam: Please I can help you.

Molly: I don't need your help. I'm fine as I am - just leave me alone.

Without waiting for a response, I turned my phone off and threw it across the room. I rested my hands on my chest and felt my heartbeat.

I decided I was not going into school the next day. I didn't want anyone to see me.
I didn't want Sam's sympathy.

You don't need it.