Prologue

“Adam, please.” I put my hands on his chest, gently pushing him away. He opened his eyes while his lips were still pursed. He had been on the verge of kissing me.

This wasn’t a good idea. Of course I knew we had kissed more often in this exact spot, but I never pretended as if that was a good idea. Nothing of this was ever a good idea.

I still wanted to kiss him back.

“Just one kiss.” Adam pleaded, leaning into me again. I ducked under his arm, escaping from his soft lips. Adam spun around, facing me and his expression didn’t seem to contain much happiness. I became defensive immediately, without knowing what it was for exactly.

“You know I want to kiss you.” I started. Adam stared at me with raised eyebrows, as if he wasn’t buying what I was telling him. If only he knew how much I wanted to kiss him. If only he knew how much I wanted to take his hand and show him off, for the whole world to see.

But I was still a contestant, and he was still a coach. And although we both knew that what was happening between him and Anne wasn’t love as it was supposed to be, it didn’t change the fact that no one was supposed to know about us.

It’s not even that they aren’t supposed to know… This wasn’t supposed to happen.

“If someone walks in we’re going to be in a lot of trouble, Adam.” He walked over to me, grabbing my both hands, gently squeezing them. His grip felt safe and warm, and I had to admit I was starting to get annoyed with not kissing him also.

His hazel eyes stared into mine and I had a hard time comprehending what he was saying.

“Maybe I don’t care anymore.”