10 - Confidence

You knew you had to stand up for yourself. You were not fazed by the larger tomcat, and you tried to stand up taller. "I've never even thought of doing anything like that!" You snapped. "I've never had a single bad intention for a second, and I never will! Get over yourself, I've done nothing to you."

   Thunderheart looked taken aback at your sudden defense, he seemed at a loss for words. While his mouth gaped open, trying to latch onto something to say, Wildpaw let out a small woop and started laughing, and he/she made himself/herself go into the apprentice den because he/she couldn't stop. Finchstar swiftly emerged from her den, hearing the commotion.

   Wildpaw seemed to have calmed himself/herself down and crept out of the den and took his/her spot back around the stump. "Bold, Frostpaw. But it's the truth. This cat has never done anything to harm this Clan. I'm ashamed of you Thunderheart, denying a leader's orders is denying the warrior code. You're certainly not going to the Gathering tonight. This is over, if you bring it up again I'll see to it that you receive a punishment that's much worse." Thunderheart scowled and stalked off. Only then did Finchstar walk away herself.

   By now, twilight had fallen and you, Crowpaw, Jaypaw, and Wildpaw decided to get some sleep before another tomorrow full of warrior training. As you lay down, Wildpaw cheered. "I wish I could stand up to Thunderheart like that! You really showed him, he couldn't even talk!" He/she started laughing. His laugther was interrupted by a cough, after which--for just a split second--his/her face went dull and his eyes seemed... sad. He/she quickly threw him/herself back into laughter again. Did you imagine that? Was something wrong with Wildpaw?

   You turned to Jaypaw to see him/her already looking at you. In surprise and confusion you could see reflected in his/her eyes, you tilted your head a bit. He/she smiled a bit. "That was really brave of you. I couldn't have done that." He/she laughed a bit softly, and you joined him/her. He/she sighed and lay his head back down.

   You didn't hear anything from Crowpaw, which was normal. But Jaypaw and Wildpaw did seem to be acting a bit weird, and you just shrugged it off and went to bed.

   But maybe... just maybe this meant something.

— Continue to (11)