Chapter 2: An Axe

Happy New Year!!... Yes I posted on 12:20 in the morning... (I was woken from my nap. I was sleepy dammit mom why)

He stayed in the cave for a week. Percy didn't really specify to himself why he stayed so long with the rotting body of a dragon on the cave floor. Maybe out of sentiment, of hesitation of leaving his dragon-mother like that but unable to dig a grave–or even drag her body outside, maybe because he got nowhere else to go, him being a former-demigod-now-dragon in an unfamiliar world. He can't even fly properly yet, only for a few feet before his wing joints starts to hurt.

But still, for some reason he stayed for a week. At the end of that week he went exploring around the area of land–he had only left the cave for food, and always not too far. He resolved that he'll be leaving permanently now, the smell is too much for his sensitive nose and he felt he can't just hide away forever.

One of his problems is being unknown to this world. Might as well go and fix it.

It was only three days of traveling, of hunting forest critters(or trying to, was more like it. Percy didn't mind much, he wasn't gonna eat it anyway–eating fish was enough, thanks), jumping off trees and having a repeated reunion with the ground as he tried to fly, jumping off boulders and repeatedly performing an impressive belly flop when he decided that landing on water than land would be less painful for him, and swimming around to hunt fish, before he caught the scent of a human.

He had been slumped on the forest floor, basking in a sense of accomplishment for almost reaching the top of the trees, when he caught wiff of an unfamiliar scent. It was different from the forest and ocean he had acquainted himself with for the past three days, and it made him wary at the possibility of an unknown, possibly dangerous, creature lurking around.

But its a bit familiar... Percy blinked and struggled to stand up. Sitting up on his two hind legs, he sniffed the air more thoroughly. It mingled with the surrounding plants and animals, but he was able to make out...sweat and...was that blood?

Humans are the only beings Percy knew that sweat, so he felt a little excited to be able to see a fellow hu–no, he isn't human anymore. They'll probably get scared or capture him for experiment or something... But the blood could be from an injury and Percy couldn't just leave someone to die in the middle of a forest!

Resolved, Percy brought his nose to the ground and began tracking. He had a bit of experience with the forest critters so he's reasonably certain he can find his target.

He had to turn around a few minutes later though when he finally realized that the scent is getting fainter and not stronger.

xXx

Percy carefully slinked through the underbush, fins and wings tightly pressed against him to lessen the area his slender body occupied. He was careful not to disturb too much of the leaves around him as he moved closer to the source of the scent.

It was a bit harder in this area, since the human seems to have walked around for some reason. He also smelled rabbit, so maybe they were hunting and that's where the blood came from?

Won't hurt to check, Percy told himself as he nosed the air.

He stilled when a heard breathing above him. It was faint and calm, even with his superior hearing, as if the person was consciously making sure they didn't breathe too loudly. The dragon barely moved when the presence–who he now noticed had been crouching on top of a boulder near him. Stupid stupid stupid, he shouldn't have put his guard down–pounced on him with what sounded like a war cry.

He let out his own more high pitched and animalistic scream at the sudden attack, panicking when something heavy pinned him to the ground. The dragon flailed frantically, his various appendages swinging around.