Chapter 7: On the Other Side

Edit: Sooooo I forgot the bit that Jason was supposed to be dead? It's fixed now. Edit2: Changed my mind.

For anyone specially critical about poems, sorry in advance? *shrugs sheepishly*

Edit 3: Additional author's note added, please read it

"That is all for today. If anyone sees anything unusual, receives any dreams, or anything at all, report it to me," Chiron said, concluding the meeting.

The demigods around the table murmured to each other as they started to leave the room, worried voices and worried looks present in most. Clarisse went out with a scowl, likely about to blow off some steam by hacking into a poor dummy. Nico pushed off against the wall he was leaning on, pursed lips and a frown on his face, giving Annabeth a nod before leaving Will. Piper gently rested a hand on Annabeth's shoulder, wordlessly offering support, before taking Jason's hand on the way out. Everyone gave her sad, sympathetic glances and words ever since they failed to find Percy anywhere. Practically everyone in camp did.

Annabeth knew that her red eyes made it clear that she had been crying. She knew her hair was a mess from running her hand through it multiple times and not bothering to fix it. She knew that tears kept welling up in her eyes whenever thoughts managed to slip through her attempts to keep them away.

She knew that she, to put it bluntly, looked like shit.

But Annabeth was getting tired of everyone's sympathetic words and pitying looks, tired of... this. All this.

She thought that things were over, that life had started to calm down, and now they only have to worry about building their lives with the occasional monster to fight. Unbidden, her hands curled into fists. Her eyes burned, and something in her chest also burned. It was not just pain. It was stronger, burned hotter, and screamed to be let lose to those against her.

Anger.

It pumped a harsh beat in her heart, making her want to scream and destroy even as she wanted to cry.

She pushed herself up, her chair scraping the floor at the motion. Chiron's gaze was a heavy weight on her back, but she didn't want to see that now familiar look on his face again.

Slow deep breaths passed through slightly open lips as Annabeth strode with stiff shoulders and a raised head. She may not look like the most composed in her appearance, but she will not let it mirror in her composure. After everything they went through, she will not let this bow her over.

Annabeth will find Percy, one way or another.

Her eyes wandered across camp, flitting from camper to camper as they either went through activities or did preparations, taking in the worried faces, the tenseness in the veterans of the wars. Annabeth couldn't blame them, considering the last time Percy had disappeared.

The memory made her breath catch, but she immediately steadied back her breathing and pushed the memory away.

She reached the stables, and it wasn't long afterwards that she entered a glade with a canopy so thick it rendered anything inside invisible from the air. The only clue to its location is the hole amongst the leaves where the first visitors had burst through on the backs of myrmekes.

Bones, both animal and human littered the grass, crunching under the pegasus' hooves. Annabeth unmounted from Blackjack as his wings folded against his side, patting his great black neck softly.