Chapter 1

Chapter 1-
The Best Christmas News

   I was five years old when I moved to the suburbs, finally leaving the city life.

“June, sweetie,” My mom, Carla Hale, called me when I got out of the limo with my sisters.

“Come help us with these and then you can go look around, okay?” She said and I nodded. I grabbed my stuff and brought them into our new mansion. My three sisters were fighting for this room that had a view of the front yard so I decided to get the room. It had the perfect view of the garden.

“Mommy, can I go play soccer?” I asked my mom who was giggling at a joke my dad- Luke- said.

“Sure, go on ahead.” Mom answered and I ran out and started kicking my soccer ball.

I love soccer! Its my game. As I was enjoying my time, my eldest sister- Shay stepped on my ball and smirked at me.

“Go fetch!” Shay smiled evilly before kicking my soccer ball into the forest. Of course, I ran after it. My dad had given it to me as a birthday gift with my name on it.

“June, get back here!” Shay yelled when I went further into the forest.

I found my ball beside a big tree and as I was about to reach for it, I heard a low growl from behind me.

I turned around slowly to see a mother dog growling at me. I backed up and it barked.

When I stepped back against the huge tree out of fright, it came at me. I throw my arms before me as if to shield me. I was a crying mess.

I waited for the bite but it never came.

“There, there doggie.”

I look up to see a 5 year old boy in front of me with the dog's mouth latched to his arm, tearing his long sleeved shirt.

I cried even harder. I just wanted my ball.

I watched as the boy patted the dog's head and the dog retreated and ran off to the bush near the tree I was against. I then realized there were puppies there.

“Sorry about the dog, it was just protecting its pups like a mom would do for her own.” The boy turned to me and my scared brown eyes met his piercing blue eyes.

I looked down to his arm and started crying again, making him confused. My brown hair stuck to my face. I hid my face and hugged my knees.

Because of me, he got hurt! How could he do that!

“Hey, are you okay? Are you hurt?” The boy asked me, touching my shoulders.

“No, but you are!” I yelled angrily at him and continued sobbing.

Its my fault!

“Hey, look at me.” He told me. I looked at him and he smiled, showing off his dimples. He pushed away the hair on my face, saying,“I'm okay. Yes, I'm wounded, but i did that to save you. I would do it again.”

Is he nuts?

“There won't be an again, you. Because I'll be the one to save you.” I said determinedly, wiping my face.

He grinned at me. “I'm Cayden. What's your name?”

“I'm June.” I introduced myself.

“Nice to meet you, June Bug.” He winked  at me.

‘☆‚

PRESENT

I kick the soccer ball into my rival's net and jump up and down when I got my team and I more points.

“Good job, June!” My dad congratulates me when the game ended with my team- Jaguars- winning.

“Thanks, dad.” I hug him and we head home together.

During the car ride home, I looked out to see everyone with a Christmas spirit decorating their homes.

“How was work?” I ask dad.

“It was fine. Chris came by at my office and we chatted." He said.

“Cool.” Was my reply as I took out my iPhone to plug in my earphones.

“I have a good news for you, June Bug.” He said, using someone's nickname for me.

I groan. “Dad.”

“Chris told me that Cayden and the gang will be coming back for a Christmas and New Years vacation. Isn't that great?”

I shrug nonchalantly, but at the mention of his name made my stomach feel…

“June?”

“Yeah.”

“He's arriving tomorrow.”