Chapter 5

Chapter 5-
Gift Exchange

I jumped when a snowball hit my window. Confused, I stood up and went to my window to see a naughty child making snowballs on my front lawn.

I noticed he was not wearing snow gloves. Worried, I grabbed my pink gloves and ran out my room to go outside.

I stepped out into the cold snow. I shivered. I was wearing my pajamas only.

“Cay2,” I called and grabbed his hands. I put the gloves on for him and he looks at me sadly.

“Why did you leave me, June Bug?” He asked me with an upset expression.

“What are you doing here? Come on, let's go inside.” I said, pulling him.

“No-”

“Do you want me to get frostbite, Cayden Alan Walker Perez?”

“Alright, alright, June Rose McKinley Hale.” He answered, throwing his arm around my shoulder to keep me warm as we headed into my other home. “Can you think about yourself first before you come saving me?”

I laughed. “I put others before me.”

☆,

Present

June

Click crack clash

I hold my hand to my chest as I look at the broken cup of glass beside my feet.

“June, are you okay?”

I nod at my younger sister- Liz who came on time to see what's wrong.

“It slipped out of my hold.” I lie, stepping over the shards of glasses. Liz nodded and went up the stairs while I clutch my heart.

Am I having angina pectoris? Heart attack?

My heart just hurt.

***

My family and I walk into the Laguna resort. We are gathering here with other families to pick a name for our Christmas exchange.

We reach the beach at the back and I made a beeline towards a chair. It was sunny.

People were having refreshments for the time being. I look up to see Cayden smiling at me. I give him a blank look and turn away.

“Hey Caybabe …”

I try not to vomit when Viola Stallings Barrymore went over to Cay2 and his brothers. They all look at her nonchalantly except Cayden.

Since when did she start calling him Caybabe?

I shake my head and was about to stand up but then pain erupted through my chest. I put a hand over my chest as I slowly sat back down. Mike noticed and he came over.

“Hey sis, are you feeling OK?” he asked, concerned.

“I'm fine.” I say. “I just feel a bit tired.”

He pats his shoulder and I smile, resting my head on his shoulder, feeling so out of it.

“Alright, everyone come pick a name and remember it's a surprise. You must not tell the person that you picked him. Okay, I'll go first.” Victor said, picking a small paper from the big bowl. He opens it,“WHAT? What?!”

When he realized we were watching him, he cleared his throat. “I know exactly what to give this person.”

“Let's go do this.” Mike said and we went up. I pick a paper, moving somewhere no one can see who I got.

Will Martinez

I throw the paper into the trash and look at the person who I've chosen. He sat with Shay who was by the looks of it bored.

Will Martinez had blonde hair and green eyes, hidden behind point dexter glasses. He's smart and kind.

What should I give him for Christmas?

“I got Viola.” Mike whispers into my ear. I shake my head. There he goes! He's not supposed to tell anyone.

"That's sweet,” I smile.

“I bet she wants Cayden for Christmas, but I ain't making that happen.” Mike uttered.

“And why's that?”

“Because he's taken.”