Chapter Six

Bryshere's POV
(Flashback)

"Hello officer, and what seems to be the problem?" I said.

"We got a call about a gunshot being fired in this area and we came to check things out."

"Wow that's crazy." My heart was beating so loud, I thought the cops heard.

"May we step inside sir?"

"Yeah, sure." I fully opened the door, granting them access to the comfort of my home. I closed the door once they were in.

"Sir, is anyone else here?"

"Just my brother. AYE YO WOODY!" He walked out from the back of the house and towards my direction.

"Aye bro wassup?" He said standing next to me staring at the cops as they searched the house.

"Where's Kai?" I whispered.

"In my room."

I nodded my head as a rush or relief came over me. Then I glanced over at Woody.

"Bro what if they're here because they know?"

"Nigga they don't know shit and it's gonna stay that way you hear me?"

"Yeah man"

"Ight G look bro, I gotchu aight. I ain't lettin nun happen to you. We bros forever ain't nun gonna change that."

"Ight."

Present Day

Man I can't believe Makaia tried to expose me like that. I mean, I know she was mad, but she had no right to come after me the way she did. I don't know what the hell got into her, but I don't like it. All I know is she better check herself before I do.

I was on my way to my third period class when I heard these voices. I hid in a corner nearby to listen.

"I don't know what to do anymore. He's just not the same person. He hasn't been the same since I caught him with Natashia."

It was at that moment that I knew it was Makaia speaking.

"Look Kai, maybe it's just time for you to let him go. He's been putting you through hell since that night and honestly, I'm tired of hearing about it."

"I know it's just—"

"Look, I get it. Bryshere's your best friend. . . Well was your best friend. And I know he was your first love, but it's time to move on."

"Thanks Malachi, you always know what to say."

"Hey, that's what friends are for. Now get to class."

I can't believe it. Why didn't I see this before. I'm about to lose my best friend and it's all my fault. When the coast was clear, I went to class.

"Mr. Gray?"

"Yes Mrs. Whiler?"

"Why are you late?"