Chapter Fifteen

Makaia's POV

I walked into Mrs. Peters room and sat in my seat. Malachi came over and sat next to me.

"Yoo, what're you doing here?" He asked.

"I got tired of being in the house. . . And I can't afford to miss school."

"I feel you, I feel you."

"Yeah. Anyways, what'd I miss?"

"We just started reading Freedom Writers."

"Ahh okay that's cool I guess."

"Yeah, and we're journaling. She says if you would like her to read it, set it on her desk. She'll lock it up after class and read it at the end of the day."

"Why would I want her to read personal shit?"

"I don't know." He said shrugging his shoulders.

"Thanks for staying with me the other night."

"It's all good."

"Is your dad still mad?"

"Yeah, but you know how it is."

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay, I just had to make sure you were okay."

I nodded and looked at the board when Mrs. Peters walked in.

"Ms. Jones, I wasn't expecting to see you again. Welcome back."

"Thanks, I guess."

"Well class, can someone explain what we did last class for those who weren't here?" Mrs. Peters asked. Some kid raised his hand. "Trevor?" She said.

"We started reading Freedom Writers and journaling. We can write about whatever we feel or reflect on what we read." He said.

"That was an excellent explanation, good job. Now, everyone go ahead and grab your notebooks. Malachi can you pass out the books please?"

"Yes ma'am."

Everyone went to the back of the room to get their journals. Malachi passed the books out and Mrs. Peters places a sticky note on my desk: see me after class.

Once everyone got back to their seats, she started class. We talked about how one of the girls saw her boyfriend her shot in a gas station. I can kind of imagine how she feels, you know because of Bryshere. I wonder how she dealt with it.

60 minutes later

Class is almost over and we're reflecting on what we read today. I don't really feel like it, but I can't afford to fail any of my classes. After I got done with my response, I texted Rashad.

me: i'm at school; coming home today

Rashad: ok

"Who you texting?" Malachi asked.