00:00:00

12th of September 2018

It's Kim Namjoon's birthday and the 10th anniversary of the infamous 'Red House' massacre. This tragedy was named after the color of the blood that splattered on the walls and ceiling of the house, making it seem that the house was painted with red.

On the night of 14th of September 2008, seven bodies were found brutally murdered inside the residence of Kim Namjoon, a 27-year-old bachelor from Seoul. His broken body was found at the foot of the staircase, one leg was stretched while the other bent at a 90-degree angle. One of his eyeballs almost popped out as the house rats consumed it. On his back was a butcher's knife buried on his backbone like Arthur's Excalibur on a rock.

The eldest among the seven dead bodies, Kim Seokjin, was found in the kitchen with two plastics of loaf bread loosely gripped by his hand and a broken jar of jam just beside his corpse. His mouth and eyes were wide open as if he died in shock. It was believed that he was asphyxiated to death as indicated by the dark purple bruise around his neck.

Min Yoongi, an underground rapper, was found cut in half on the garage. His upper limb was approximately half a meter away from his lower limb; intestines, liver and even his spleen scattered around. It looked as if a huge amount of budget was allotted to the special effects team in a SAW and Final Destination movie sets. The blood sample on the shovel found hanging on the wall matched with his blood thus, it was probably used to chop him off.

The decapitated head of Jung Hoseok was discovered inside a wooden box filled with bugs that feasted over his delicious visual. The rest of his body, however, was never found. On the contrary, the authorities had a hard time identifying the headless body hanging upside down inside the master's bedroom. A bucket overflowing with blood was placed right beneath the corpse as if it was a pig from a slaughterhouse. After a week, the body was identified to be a rookie dancer, Park Jimin.

The corpse of the known fashion model, Kim Taehyung, was found naked in the backyard. Even so, the crime scene was not as simple as that. The aroma of coffee diffused with the decaying smell of his body which was once completely flawless, and now covered with third-degree burns like tattoos on the human skin.

Jeon Jungkook, the youngest among them, was found kneeling in the living room with a long steel rod through his abdomen as if he was a pork barbecue ready to be grilled. His face that once glowed so much with life is now dimmed with ugliness. The rod pierced through him as if he was nothing but meat and bones, his blood pooled around him. The other end of the rod was buried on the wall as though it was poked at the same time with his body.

The 'Red House' massacre attracted the sympathy of the whole world. The news didn't only become viral in South Korea, but also worldwide because of the gruesome ending of a birthday celebration.

However, this tragedy still remained a puzzle to the families of the victims and to the whole world. Aside from the unusual murder method of the suspect, no fingerprints were found at the crime scene. The seven boys had no friends nor enemies aside from themselves, so, finding the motive to kill them was like finding a needle in a haystack. Despite the fact that a short list of possible suspects was released and investigated, none of them was found guilty. Thus, the mystery surrounding the red house massacre remains unsolved until now.

ON | OFF

[LCD screen opens; displays 9 videos in 3x3 grid; taps the first video clip]

REWIND | PLAY | FAST FORWARD

[handsome face of a man appears; fingers are tapping some settings on the screen; camera angle fixed on eye-level]

SEOKJIN:
happy death anniversary,
kim namjoon!