Chapter Seven

The same dream, it always has to be this dream. The dream practically haunts him, reminding him of what happened. It reminds him too much of the fact that he is alone and the best person in his life was cruelly ripped away from him. He hates that dream, for it always comes back when he's at his lowest.

"Mom!" A loud crash and a scream of horror and another one of agony. Sirens filled the air. Red was all he knew. Why did this happen? How could it happen? The best thing ever to me was cruelly taken from me, leaving me alone. Then again, my uncle took me in and since then I had been doing everything I could to make him, someone, proud of me.

"Tsu...ere?"

Tsuere? What?

"Sakuy...don...rry."

I'm so confused, what is going on?

Mahiru's thoughts clear and he is able to catch a piece of the conversation. "I'm going to kill Shamrock for making him like this!" Sakuya? What? Why was he...wait, where am I? He knows he's not home or at the onsen or at Misono's mansion, so where is he and why is Sakuya there?

"Oh, look, he's awake." He frowns at hearing the girl's monotone voice, something about her is familiar but who is she? Mahiru feels hands grab his arms, cold and rough hands. Quiet murmurs rings through the air, no one he recognizes and if Sakuya is there he isn't saying anything. This is causing him to freak out, he needs to know where he is. This isn't a good thing, wait.

Tsubaki, he was at my apartment. How long have I been separated from Kuro? Mahiru hears the wind outside, a haunting melody being played as it flows through small cracks in the windows. The sound sent chills down his spine as he tries to think what Tsubaki wanted with him. He said that he never told Shamrock to kill him, so who did? Why would they want him dead?

Tsubaki had explained everything to the other subclasses what he had planned. Sakuya is against the plan but he has to obey him, has to obey the eighth servamp. They listen to the wind howling outside, something about it feels odd. They notice the teen shiver as if afraid of the noise and glance at Sakuya since he has known him longer than them. They earn a shrug in response, going back to playing their game of cards as Sakuya sits with Mahiru and asking a few questions.

Mahiru leans against him, his eyes closed as he thinks to himself. Are they looking for him? They probably forgot all about you. He wants to respond but he can't. Everyone forgets about you. What of your family? Where are they? They didn't want you, they left you!

"Mahiru?" Sakuya, thankfully, cuts through his thoughts. His crimson eyes show concern and pain since his friend is gripping, burying his nails, into his hand it hurts terribly. "Mahiru, you're gripping my hand tightly." He notices the loosened grip and asks, "Are you okay? What are you thinking?"

"Nothing. Sorry, I didn't know I was hurting you." He lets his hand go completely as he goes back to thinking. "How long have I been separated from Kuro?"

"Almost six hours now." Sundown is always around six so it's about eleven at night. Almost midnight. That meant he's going to start going through the consequences and oh great. Just more pain, yay!

"You have got to be kidding me," he mutters, glaring at nothing as he blinks softly. How can this be? This must be some joke of a nightmare he dreamt up. No way can this actually be happening for it is too much. How can this be real? Is this just what he's going to be rendered to? This is not fair! He's always the one to help! This can't be—

He doubles over, coughing as his thoughts is cut off. He hears Tsubaki say, "And it's started."