The Warehouse

2:2

Once the sun was high in the sky and they had all rested, we started off again, this time with me walking because I wasn't a huge fan of being carried, I still had the sore spot on my stomach.

I groaned a little and rubbed my stomach where it hurt. I had thought it was a quiet enough thing to do, but Christian obviously heard it, even though he was in the front and I was in the back. Luckily he didn't say nothing.

Everyone's path was different, all of them walking out of sync, every once in awhile swiftly moving to the side, stepping around something. I followed their lead until I got tired of the game and started walking straight. Dymond quickly pulled me out of the way of something. The only issue was I couldn't see it. All I could see was short brown grass plains and a red sky with a dull red sun.

"What's wrong?" I asked Dymond.

She frowned, "You were about to run into a rock." She explained, as if to a two year old. "You're welcome." She mumbled.

"Of course! We didn't take your contacts out! We're so stupid!" Justin exclaimed smacking his face jokingly, which just made me frown harder.

"You don't know what contacts are, do you?" Josh asked, and I shook my head.

"Ok." Dymond reasoned, "You're going to have to trust me. I'm going to take something off of your eyes that you can't see. I promise it won't hurt." She encouraged me, and reached for my eye. I backed away. I didn't want those long fingernails anywhere near my eyes.

"Come on, It'll be over in a second." She tried to reassure me. I guessed if they wanted to hurt me they would've done it already, so I caved in and walked back towards her (under horrible judgement). When she reached forward and touched my eye I didn't even feel it, then she closed her fingers together and took something off of it. On the tip of her finger was a small, clear, curved piece of plastic. I gasped. How did I not see or feel that on my eye? Although she took that off my eye, I couldn't see any difference in the barren landscape. Then she reached for my other eye and took the same thing off my other eye. The whole world changed before my eyes.

The short brown grass changed to long, flowing, golden and green grass up to my chest, an ocean of gold. The red sky changed to a baby blue with white fluff scattered across it, and the sun changed from a dull red to a blinding yellow. Saying I was about to run into a rock was an understatement, as it was about up to my head and three times as wide. It was a miracle that I didn't run into any before then.

I could even feel, smell, and hear things differently. I could feel a cool wind tickling my body and tossing my hair every which way, smell a sweet smell I couldn't quite place, and I could hear the rustling of the grass in the wind.

"If that was connected to my sight, how come I can feel and hear things different too?" I asked no one in particular.

"Well," Josh responded, "Sight is about eighty-nine percent of the observations your body takes in, so if that is fooled, the rest of your senses tend to somewhat bend to that." It made sense, but only a little bit. I guess it meant if I could see wind, I could feel wind, and if I see nothing, I feel nothing.

On the horizon, there was a dark spot and it seemed to be the thing we were heading for. The whole way the other four teens joked and played games. It looked like so much fun, yet something held me back. I felt like I shouldn't, like I would be intruding on something, or that they wouldn't like me. I couldn't really sort out my emotions at that moment.

"Think fast!" Justin yelled, right after he threw a rock at Dymond, about the size of his head. It nailed her in the stomach and she fell backwards. I was stunned, I had thought that they were friends and always nice to each other. Dymond jumped up, and mumbled a sarcastic imitation of Justin, "Think fast," and tackled him.

Once Dymond was done punching Justin, they both got up laughing and we started moving again.

By then, I could tell that the dark spot on the horizon was a small warehouse on the edge of a forest, but it still looked about half of a mile away.

"You have a terrible reaction time." Justin pointed out to Dymond.

"So do you!" Dymond retaliated.

"Well, maybe if I had supersonic hearing like some people," Justin said gesturing to Christian, "I would've known what you were going to do."

"Whatever."

"I never quite understood that word. What and ever could be two different words, which would make it a question." Dymond just glared at him.

Suddenly Dymond looked at me and said, "We gave you our names, but I never caught yours." She frowned.

"Violett." I stated. "And I have a question, are you recruiting impracticals?"

"Yes."

"So, where are all the people who were on those carts every night? And where is my mom, then?"

"There are very few people who actually are impracticals. The people who control the city are wrong about them, impracticals are people who can't be put in a certain mindset no matter how hard they try to. When we tapped on your window and you came to it, that just proved you are an actual impractical. We did the same thing to your mother, but she didn't get out of her bed like you. It was the same thing with those people on the carts, they aren't actual impracticals. They simply weren't taught little things on being a practical, but you were. When you messed up during class, you were specifically taught that word, how to pronounce it, and that you weren't supposed to mess up. That's how Justin knew that you might be an impractical. For example, with the other people, they just didn't know that they were supposed to walk in step, or that they weren't allowed to speak out of turn, but the headquarters thought that was the way to determine impracticals."

"Why do they care so much about us doing little things like that?"

"It's not because of what we do, those little things show that we are impracticals, and being an impractical is dangerous. Impracticals are a danger to them. See, impracticals have certain... abilities that the headquarters fear. We each have gifts. Mine is touch, and I know that sounds confusing, but I'll explain things later. Justin has sight, Josh has warning, and Christian has hearing. We don't know what you have yet, but I think we'll find out soon." The whole conversation made me want to roll my eyes, it was like I was a five year old again.