New

A scream pierced the air, resounding off the white walls of our new home. My head cocked to the side; listening. There was another scream and I bounced into action.

I quickly scanned what was soon to be the living room, slid a baseball ball bat out of a cardboard box sitting haphazardly among a few dozen other unopened boxes. I brandished it like a sword and sprinted outside like the damn house was on fire.

"WHAT?!", I yelled, jumping off the single step that lead into the house, swinging the bat like any 19 year old girl would, if she heard her brother's terrified scream. Which was odd. The kid rarely screamed, so something was definitely up.

I probably looked stupid with a scrunched face, mouth hanging open in what I hoped was a menacing sneer as I landed on the balls of my feet. Looking around the front yard wildly, my bat slowly lowered when I heard snickering off to my left. I turned my head and looked at my idiot of a brother, lying on the grass near the sidewalk leading up to the front door. I began lifting the bat just about ready to hit him with it.

"Y-You should have s-s-seen your f-face!" He descended into a fit of giggles, bending at the waist and holding his stomach.

His fluffy brown cropped hair reflected the sun's rays as he bent forward making him resemble a folded lawn chair. He was tall for his age, people. Lord knows what - or who - gave my mom the bright idea of having the kid one year after moi. I mentally rolled my eyes. Thanks a lot dad.

"You scared me, you jackass!" I whisper-yelled at him, raising the bat even higher about to fulfill the deed. He flinched and I watched as his hazel eyes nestled above high cheek bones widened, drawing attention to his full pink lips pulled into a frown.

His almost sunken cheeks - due to his weird fruit diet thing he had going on- gave even more definition to his strong jaw, which curved to produce his little chin.

I glared down at him with even more intensity, walking slowly toward him while he hurriedly raised his arms over his head in hopes of protection.

"Not the face! Not the FACE!" he screamed at me. I chuckled at his helplessness.

"Skylar! Leave Venny alone!"

My feet stopped against their own will and I hunched my shoulders, rolling my eyes before turning towards the front door to mock glare at my mom.

"Aww, come on mom! He scared me!? I thought someone was trying to kill him out here." I pouted, lowering the bat as I heard Venny scrambling behind me.

"He's lucky I didn't think he was a robber or something. I could out his lights with one swing of this thing." I swung the bat for good measure. I felt a swift wind as he jogged past, running straight into my mom's arms. Mom was about a foot shorter to that of Venny's 5 feet, 11 inches, with black curling waist length hair and a slim, slight crow's feet and laugh lines that tells a story of her time spent hqving fun. Her long lilac dress hugs her plump yet curvy body in the most flattering places.

"I saw that young lady." My eyes bulged. She hadn't even been looking at me; she was busy eye-raping Sven for any injuries. I narrowed my eyes and searched her for some hidden looking device. How the heck else did she see? I began to walk slowly toward the front door, wiping the sweat off my forehead.

It was almost the end of summer, school was about to start and to top it all off, the sun was damn hot out here. I stood beside them, looked out on the street and surveyed the other houses ranging from small one story houses sporting cement verandas to three story houses with balconies on each floor.

I turned to look back at our white painted 20th century home with cafe brown trims. The freshly cut grass perfumed the air with its sweet scent making me crave the thought of finishing unpacking so we sit out in the front veranda. I smiled to myself thinking of the memories we're going to make.