Jealous

Simone was chuckling at me.

I stood there open mouthed and stared at one of The most beautiful cars ever made since the 20th century. If you've seen Cars the movie - Doc? The old time racer who loved racing but had disappeared after his famous crash? - oh, yes. A 1955 Chrysler C-300. A classic, one of the babies. She was glorious.

Maybe it had something to do with me growing up with dad always being in the workshop, tinkering away at his friends' or the neighbors' cars. He was always fixing things, anything that had a motor attached. Back when the business hadn't even kicked up yet, I would lean against the table where he layed out all his tools, talking to him about anything and occasionally handing him the tool he asked for. I loved those talks; they were some of the best we ever had.

It had always been a dream of mine to own one of the classics. I was a bit envious until I looked over the hood of the car and saw Simone smirking at me, my heart kind of melted. Okay, envy was replaced by butterflies.

I walked right up to the passenger's side and ran my hand slowly, tentatively along its shining black exterior. I bent down to examine the tires; the rims were large and the wheels had a stripe of white near the middle. The heat was unbearable so I drew my hand back to save my fingers from a burn.

I peeked through the windows and saw the luxurious brown leather seats staring back at me. I may not be a fan of leather but who cares?!

I looked back at Simone and found her smiling at my amazement. I was grinning like a fool.

"How?" I asked gesturing towards my dream baby.

She walked towards the driver's side, drawing my eyes to the way her hips swayed, her keys clinking.

"My dad got it for me for my 19th birthday last year. He modernized it with the help of Monte's Motors though. It was sorta last minute. I love it."

My heart did a little jump at the sound of my dad's company.

"My mom gave me a pen for my birthday last year," I deadpanned. To be fair, the pen was actually a lazer pointer as well and it could also be a USB carrier. It wasn't that bad, actually. I carried it around in my bookbag ever since. I loved it but it was no car, however.

She laughed her tinkling laugh and leaned against the top of the car but jumped back with a curse. 

"It's so hot up there!" She was rubbing her arm to soothe the burn. I nodded my head, "Why do you think I stopped touching the baby?" I asked and waited for her to open the car.

There was an audible dull plug as the door popped open for me. We slid inside and oh my god, the interior was to die for.

There were pink fluffy dice hanging from the rearview mirror, matching steering wheel cover and the tip of the joystick was also pink.

There was a high tech stereo system with pretty blue lights for buttons. The engine purred to life, the air conditioning blasted cool air directly at me. I almost whimpered my thanks

I looked over at her in excitement and she laughed at me, shaking her head, putting it in reverse.

"Do you usually get into strangers' cars?" She asked with a playful smile.

I pouted and studied her, silently. Her halo afro, white dress, the way she was concentrating as she backed out of the parking lot. Mmm, she didn't look like a serial killer to me.

"You would have knocked me out by now," I stated.

"Yeah but you don't know if I will," she retorted.