1: DARK PARADISE

"Every time I close my eyes, it's like a dark paradise. No one compares to you but there's no you except in my dreams tonight." ~Lana Del Rey

~Jade~

"Where are we going?" I asked my best friend while she was dragging me by my arm.

"To the Company Branch where I'm reassigned. Today's its grand opening," she answered with a broad grin on her face.

"Victorique, I've got things to do," I replied.

She stopped at the side of a black Toyota and raised an eyebrow when she faced me.

"Household chores . . . errands . . . my column in our local newspaper. . ." I enumerated, counting with my fingers.

"And they can't wait until later, eh?" crossing her arms in front of her.

I rolled my eyes and released a sigh of defeat. This is Victorique's area of specialty. She beamed and opened the door to the driver's seat.

"Thanks! Help yourself!" She shrugged as she climbed into her car.

"Remind me again why I have to meet this guy from your company," I asked as I joined her.

"Because, Jade Hargreaves, my dearest and most beloved best friend, you are as currently single as he," Victorique said in a matter-of-fact way while she hit the ignition.

"Ms. Victorique Shall, that doesn't mean we should hook up."

"I should tell you then that he is a very nice guy and a fortune if I may add," she nodded at me.

I leaned my back on the black leather seat. I didn't need money that much to grab this guy that Victorique was talking about. It's just that, this was the first time I saw my best friend after five years. She moved to the city and applied for a job there after we graduated High School to pursue a Bachelor's Degree on Business Administration. Since then, she never had the time to go home.

I had to admit that I didn't recognize her right away when she knocked on my door a while ago until she said my name. She had this way of saying my name that was a little different than any other. Her dark long straight hair was now a wavy brown. She also now wore pinkish lipstick to match her pink eye shadow. This frilly blouse and a matching dark blazer and plants also replaced her tees.

"Five years is a very long time. It's the least I can do. Lucky I missed you so much," I remarked.

"I missed you too," Victorique smiled, glancing a little to me.

"This is a good car you got."

She just smirked and there was a moment of silence afterwards. I was living a humble and contented life of a writer and a columnist and haven't thought of buying my own car since I don't have the slightest urge to leave the town. I stared outside. The usual rush hour of Friday afternoon made our travel a bit longer than expected.

"Oookay, It's already half passed five. The ceremony already began by now," Victorique sighed. "So, how are you and that mannequin of yours?" she asked when I didn't reply.

I turned to her in surprise. I didn't expect her to remember Dustin after all this years.

"That mannequin you said that looks so much like your ex," she added.

"Dustin is not my ex," I corrected her. "He's still . . . my boyfriend."

"Where is he then?"

"He hasn't return yet."

"Yeah right. He sure is taking his time."

"And I am taking my time in waiting for him."

"'Till when?"