3: STARS

"If only you can hear me shout your name, if only you can feel my love again the stars in the sky will never be the same again. If only you are here." ~Callalily

~Jade~

    Nine 'fifteen in the evening and still no date. I started to doubt if I was in the right coffee shop. I tried to remember the details that my best friend had given. Unless they have opened a new branch, I'm pretty sure this was Twin Hearts Coffee Shop.

    I looked around. Only a handful of couples and there they were very occupied with their dates that I didn't think they'd noticed me waiting for a while now. I glanced at my wristwatch again. Nine 'twenty.

"Are you Ms. Hargreaves?" a man's voice startled me.

"Jade Hargreaves. How may I help you?" I managed to answer.

"Lawrence Gabriel," he held out his hand.

    He took his seat opposite mine after we shook hands and I caught myself staring at him as he did so 'cause he looked strangely familiar. His blonde hair was lighter than mine and was gleaming under the yellowish light of the chandelier above. His bloodshot lips were curved into a mischievous smile.

"I'm sorry for being late. Something suddenly came up and I needed to attend to it personally," I heard him mumbled. "Are you okay?"

"Oh, yes. Yes, I'm fine," I blinked repeatedly.

    He was murmuring something but I couldn't help myself but to gawk at his green eyes. They were so adorable. Yes, that's the word. I heard someone used that word to describe his eyes. His eyes. . . His? My jaw dropped as soon as the realization hit me.

"You are that guy in the basement parking lot!" I uttered.

"Excuse me?"

"That horrible president in Flamel . . ." I clapped my hands to my mouth.

"What?"

"The one . . . that a lady spilled her coffee to."

"Oh, and you were that flat ass who meddles with other people's lives?" He sneered.

"What did you just say?"

"Don't tell me-" we said at the same time.

"So you're the only one who was miserable enough to accept this stupid blind date?"

"Excuse me, mister. I'm here because of a friend's request."

"Is that the one with the lonely friend who needs somebody to talk to? Seriously, did you believe that crap?" he laughed.

"How dare you," I said through gritted teeth.

"That was a stupid joke that nobody actually cared to listen and here you are believing you're saving a soul? Who are you? Mother Theresa?" he sniggered. "Girls, you little brats should at least make use of this" he pointed to the side of his head then laughed.

    His laughter was getting louder, drowning the music, stopping the buzzes of conversation, and insulting my very existence.

"Son of a bitch," I gripped my glasses to control my temper.

"I should warn you then to watch your words, Mother Theresa wannabe," he placed a hand to my hand that was gripping the glass.

"Then watch your attitude. If this is just a stupid joke, then why are you getting involved? Oh, maybe you're just as stupid?"

"Tell me, miss. Are you that desperate right now?" he traced something on the back of my hand that he was holding.

    I was about to snatch the glass from the table but he was more powerful. He held my hand tighter to prevent me from using it. I glowered at him.