Chapter six

All I can hear is my heavy breathing, along with bird noises and dead leaves crunching under my feet. I’m trying to find any sign of August. So far, I’ve found nothing.

“August!” I call. The only thing that replies is the birds chirping. I sigh. I hate living like this. Like my future is held in someone’s hands. I don’t even know who they are. All I know is that they want me dead. You need to stop thinking like this, if you don’t find him soon move on. I shake my head. I can’t leave him. It’s my fault that he’s gone. I continue to search for him.

“August, I’m sorry!” I cry. Minutes pass. My head is spinning. I need to find water, and fast before I pass out. I feel a tear rolling down my cheek. I then fall to the floor. I curl up into a ball and start to cry. It feels nice to cry for once. I always seem strong on the outside, but on the inside I’m an emotional wreak. I try to stay strong for my family that failed to stay alive. They are my only motivation to live. I feel my eyes getting heavy. Maybe I could have a short nap and then find water. Of course, I slowly doze off.

“Hello? Are you okay there?” A voice says. The person starts to kick me.

“Can you not,” I groan.

“Oh wow, I thought you were dead!” The voice sighs with relief. I laugh. I open my eyes to see a little girl, no older than ten years old staring at me. She has long blonde hair with loose curls that dandle over my head. She was gorgeous for a ten year old.

“Do you have clean water?” I ask her. She nods.

“I really shouldn’t talk to strangers but I wanted to see if you were okay,” she explained.

“Well, my name is Kaylee and once I know you’re name, we won’t be strangers,” I smile.

“I don’t like you’re attitude. My names Lee,” she says. I laugh. Her attitude is the worst I’ve seen in a long time. “I can show you where the water is if you would like,” she smiles. Her teeth were crooked, but her smile still managed to be beautiful for her age. She holds out her hand as a gesture to help me up. I take it.

“So, where’s your mum and dad?” I ask her. She shrugs.

“Last time I checked, mum was at home and I haven’t seen my dad in years,” she says. She sounds so causal about not seeing her dad. I can’t stand talking about my family. I always end up with my eyes watering.