Chapter eight

Inside the house is nice and cosy. There’s a fire burning, with the fireplace frame built into one of the wooden walls. The table is made of wood along with the dining chairs and kitchen tops. The couch has large pillows, which I guess is stolen from the city. The mantel hovering over the fireplace has a couple of photo frames with family photos in them.

“This is a nice place,” I say, my eyes scanning the room. The fire crackles and spits ember into the air.

“Thanks. I’m going to find mum now, sit down I won’t take long,” she gestures towards the couch. I sit down. Swirls, dots and lines are engraved into thee arm of the couch. I guess her mum and dad have an amazing talent of building things and decorating. Or maybe, just being able to work with wood really well.

“Why would you bring in some random girl?” I hear a voice say from the other room.

“She was lost and I didn’t know what to do,” another voice cries. I guess its Lee saying that. “Listen, she’s looking for someone and I don’t think she has food. She only has water because I helped her find it!”

“Okay well she can’t stay for long, she’s wanted from the city,” the voice yells. A door swings open to reveal a woman. She has long, blonde hair just like Lee. Her clothes are too big for her and she looks tired.

“You can’t stay here it’s to-” Then she stops. I can feel her scanning me. “Kaylee?” She stutters. I nod.

“I’m sorry, I don’t think I know you,” I say.

“You won’t know me, but I’ve been studying your kind for a long time,” She smiles. “I know everyone like you,”

“Okay, well you may be able to help me,” I say. “I’m looking for someone.” You can see the interest spring onto her face.

“Who are you looking for?” She asks.

“A boy-”

“Aren’t we all?” She cuts in. I frown at her. “Sorry for saying the truth, anyway continue.”

“Well he’s tall, brown hair and fair skin. I kind of snapped at him, a lot so he ran off,” I sigh.

“Ah, August Johnson. He came by here not too long ago. He was looking for water so I gave him some. Funny he didn’t say anything about you,” she smiles.

“Did he say where he was going? I need to talk to him,” I ask. She raises her eyes. 

“And why should I tell you? I saw you yell at him, he doesn’t deserve you as a friend,” she hisses. I pause. It slowly turns into a long pause.

“How did you know about that?” I ask her.

“Oh dear, the stupid voice in your head told me.” She laughs. I slowly get up from the couch, watching her. 

“I don’t even know you but yet you know so much,” I cry. “Who are you?”

“That is not important but if you must know, my name is Chris,” she says. I snicker. I thought that Christ was a boy’s name.

“Short for Christina?” I ask. She nods.

“Christina is a basic name though,” she snorts. I still don’t know who she is. I think of my mother. She could be my family; my mum had a sister not worth talking about. This woman is not really worth talking about that’s for sure. She seems like a creep. She does look like my mother though. Mainly in the face which is where it counts. She could be one of me and that’s why she knows so much.

“Look, sit down and I will answer any questions you need. Including your beloved August,” She spits. I roll my eyes. I don’t even like August that much, but I dare not to say it in front of her. She might not help me after that. I wouldn’t even help myself now, in this case. I’m not worth helping.