Chapter three

My body hits the ground with a thud. I should be dead by now, but I’m certainly not. I feel more alive than I have ever felt in my life. I start to run. You need to get home, pack your things and go. “But I don’t want to go,” I mutter. It seems strange talking to myself, but I know that someone or something is here with me. I soon spot a small cave, on flat ground. Home. I’ve been hiding out there for quite some time, but I guess that they’ve figured out where I live. I run into the mouth of the cave and grab my things. I don’t own a lot of things so it won’t take too long. I can’t let them find me again. I grab a family photo, my few bits of clothing and a bag. I quickly dump everything into the bag and run out the mouth of the cave. I start to run in the opposite direction to the place where I got taken. I want to cover lots of space so then they have less of a chance of finding me. After a while, I start to walk. My legs are burning and I’m short of breath. I’m not very fit. I soon come across another small cave, a fair way away from my old home. It’s going to be dark soon, set up camp here. I slowly walk into the cave to see if anything was in there. “Hey, who’s there?” a voice echoes through the cave. I freeze. “Come out, I won’t hurt you,” The voice says calmly. I slowly walk deeper into the cave. I see a large shadow; a figure of someone. “Oh, hello there,” The voice says. It’s a boy, a little bit older looking then I am. He’s tall, has brown hair and light skin. “I didn’t mean to scare you,” I smile.

“It’s all good, it’s just that I don’t see a lot of people come in here,” he grinned. “So what brings you to these parts of the forest?” he asks me. His eyes are green like a fresh patch of grass, just like mine.

“I’m just going out for a run, that’s all,” I lie. He glances at the bad that I now hold in my hand. “You bought quite a bit of stuff on your ‘run’,” I used the word run loosely. I nod, trying not to smile. I pinch my lips together.

“I can tell that you’re lying but I think I could fight you if you tried to attack me,” He laughs.

“Ha, and what’s that supposed to mean?” I ask.

“Nothing it’s just that you’re… you know… small, and well a girl. And I’m tall and a boy. You wouldn’t win, trust me,” He replies. I frown.

“Well, that’s not very nice of you,” I snap. He looks at me with wide eyes.

“I was only joking but whatever,” he sighs. “It’s getting dark out so you should be getting home,” He points to the door. I shake my head.

“I can’t go home, I ran away from my parents and I can’t let them find me,” I lied. By the time this conversation is over, I will surely become an expert liar. It was partly true anyway. I am running away, but not from my parents.

“Why didn’t you tell me that before? I guess you can stay, if you want to,” He smiles.

“Thank you, I have nowhere else to go so I think I’ll stay,” I smile back.

“Okay well, set up camp where ever and I’ll get some food for you,” He says. I nod

“Thank you, once again,” I say. He nods.

“I don’t get to see a lot of people so it’s nice to have some company sometimes,” He sighs. “Oh and by the way, my name is August,”

“I’m Kaylee,” I hold out my hand for him to shake it. Instead, he walks off.