Hayden

Who do you call? Ghostb — NOPE.

It was a little over two weeks since the Opening Ball, and for some reason, my cover had already been blown. Every day, I was surrounded by girls and I was showered with chocolates, flowers, and gifts. Although the girls were annoying, I didn't complain about the gifts. After all, Mel, Alex and I had a great time feasting over the food.

I was handing out the goodies to the others in my room when I heard an announcement from the Aragorn head. "Will Ashley Jean Hunter, Camille Violet Cabello, Brooke Evans, Lucas Skylark, Hayden Sanchez and Cassandra Rose please report to the Headmaster-in-training's office. Thank you."

"Sorry guys, gotta go." I apologised sheepishly.

"It's okay, Hayden. We understand.After all, it wouldn't be important if it wasn't broadcasted throughout the PA system," Mel smiled kindly, and ushered me to the door.

"Thanks," I muttered before dashing to the Headmaster-in-Training's office.

~~~~~

I rushed in the room with Camille and Lucas, only to find Brooke, Cassandra and Karate Girl in the room. I kind of wanted Camille to sit with me, but she immediately headed to find Brooke, and struck up a conversation about mean, blonde girls. Karate Girl seemed to be interested in not socializing, and Cassandra was reading a book.

I decided to sat with the older boy, who was wearing a faded soccer shirt. "Manchester United?" I asked curiously.

"Yep. Been supporting them since they came to visit our orph — school," he confirmed, clearly happy to find somebody who shares the same passion.

"That's great! Did you see that show — " I was cut off when Camille and Brooke stood up.  I snapped to attention as we followed the girls into the office. Kyle was setting up a PowerPoint, and I couldn't help asking why Kyle was even here? As far as I know, he hadn't been summoned to see the Headmaster-in-Training. This means...

"Is Kyle the Headmaster-in-Training?" I whispered to Lucas. He nodded, surprised that I would ask such a stupid question.

"So...I'm guessing you're wondering why I called — " Kyle started, avoiding meeting eyes with Karate Girl in an obvious way.

Cassie cut him off. "The murders, right? So, what do you want us to do about it?"

Murders? What were we supposed to do? If Kyle was looking for close people to the victims, wouldn't Alex be more help?

Kyle continued, "Uh, yeah, the murders. We've been noticing that a lot of murders have been happening on campus. Even though the fandomers will be safe and unharmed with only their memories of here gone in the real world, this is still pretty disturbing for us. My dad — sorry, the Headmaster — has tasked me with putting together an investigation team."

I was shocked. This would be dangerous.

Kyle curled his fists, before taking a deep breath and continuing, "You are all very trustworthy people, and all of you have different talents. Working together, I have no doubt that we'll be able to solve this mystery and uncover the person behind the murders."

I pretended not to notice the tension in the air and look serious. I glanced at Lucas, and he shared the same grim look as me. We were in really deep trouble.

Valar save me.

~~~~~

I decided to share what Kyle told me to the others after dinner. We gathered at Alex's room, and I started fidgeting on the spot. I calmed myself down and spilled the beans.

Alex's eyes widened when he heard the about the murders, and started crying, Mel rubbing his back for a few moments, a dark, angry expression on her face. It wasn't surprising — Ariel, his girlfriend of years, had been killed, after all.

Mel went to the nearest rubbish bin and rummaged through its content. She pulled out the school monthly newspaper and showed me the headlines.

PARIS RAIDSTEIN IS SUSPECTED OF MURDER
Paris Raidstein, from the Hunger Games Fandom, is suspected of murdering Jessie, his long-time girlfriend, after an argument. Although he pleads innocent, others say that they saw him stab Jessie with their own eyes......

My blood boiled as I kept reading the article. How could a person kill his own loved one? I thought that only happened in movies, like the ones that my mother starred in.

"Now you see why I'm furious at Paris. We both wouldn't believe that Paris was the murderer, but the evidence..." Mel glanced at Alex with a funny look on her face.

Although this seemed convincing, my guts told me that there was something wrong. Paris didn't look like a cold-blooded murderer from the photo captioned below, and I had a feeling that he wouldn't do something like that.

No matter what the truth is, I will find it out.