☆ Chapter 1 ☆

Time skip: 8 years

It's been 8 years since I joined Haru's swimming school. But, it's getting torn down. I'm sad about not being able to swim there again with Nagisa, Makoto, and Rin. Haru and I haven't seen Nagisa or Rin ever since it got closed down. Especially Rin; he moved to Australia to train and become an Olympic swimmer. I remembered the sad look on his face when he lost to Haru before he left. I shook my head trying to forget.

I cooked dinner for Haru-chan and I. Mostly mackerel and salmon. Haru is in the tub again just daydreaming. I understand what he likes about water. It's refreshing, wraps around your body like a blanket, and you can just escape the world when you relax.

While I was daydreaming, I smelt smoke and realized I burned my salmon. I turned off the stove quickly, threw away the burnt fish and sighed.

'Nothing good has been happening to me this week...'

I sat down at the table thinking if I should go buy more salmon or not. I crossed my arms and set it on the table, burying my head in the opening. With one eye opened, I stared out the window, it was ark outside. The only light came from a nearby lamp post. Something horrifying popped up in my mind as I jumped up but tripped over the chair, falling to the floor.

"What the...." I hoisted myself up and went out for a jog to buy some salmon.

* * *

Haru was sitting at the table, in his swimsuit, eating the mackerel I cooked once I got home. He didn't look up.

"Why was the chair on the floor?" He asked slightly glancing up at me.

"No reason." I walked towards the stove and started cooking my salmon, keeping quiet of the jump scare I had earlier. The whole night was quiet. None of us spoke as we both sat at the table and ate.

'I should have picked up the chair before I left.' I scolded myself.

Haru stood up and cleaned up his dishes

Morning

I woke up and found Haruka already in the tub.

"Hey, I need to take a bath too."

Haru said nothing, but instead just stuck his head underwater. I sighed walking downstairs as a knock came from the front door. I ran towards it and slid it open. Makoto was standing there with the usual smile on his face.

"Good morning Akira-chan." He patted my head and looked around the room, sighing.

"Is Haru-chan hogging the bath again?"

I nodded. He speed-walked to the bathroom. I went to my room to change into my uniform: a white button-up long sleeved shirt, a green tie, and a skirt, while waiting for Makoto-kun to get Haru-chan out of the tub. Once I was done, I stood outside the house for the two of them. They both came out a few minutes later.

"Sorry we took so long, Akira-cha--"

I interrupted him before he could finish, only because I didn't like '-chan' being tagged at the end of my name.

"It was only a few minutes, it's fine." I started making my way down the stairs.

* * *

During lunch, we started to walk up the stairs to the roof, where we usually eat.

"Haru-chan, Mako-chan, Aki-chan! It's been forever! I'm now attending Iwatobi high with you guys!" A familiar looking, blonde haired boy stood at the bottom of the stair case smiling up at us. He waved at us as we stared at each other.

"Haru-chan?"

"Mako-chan?"

"Aki-chan?"

After a brief second, we all snapped our heads at him.

"Nagisa?!" We all said in unison.

He walked up the stairs. We were all excited to see him again.

We all went onto the roof sitting down while leaning on the building sitting in the middle of the roof. We settled down and started eating. I handed Haru his bento when I remembered I still had it.

"You're still eating just mackerel and rice? You too, Aki-chan, with your salmon." Nagisa looked over to his and my bento. I shrugged and continued eating.

"We should all visit the swim school before it gets destroyed." Nagisa proposed. Makoto agreed, but Haru and I didn't want to go. Instead, we just ate our food until it was finished. Nagisa and Makoto looked at each other and back at us.

"There might be water." They tried convincing us.

'Might. There might be water.' I took a glance at Haru, who's eyes were lit up after hearing the word 'water'. I sighed. They got us.

* * *

We all decided to go at night, so it wouldn't be too easy to get caught.

Nagisa started talking about a ghost haunting the school grounds. He really scared Makoto-kun.

Nagisa took out a packet of 'salt' which he says that will repel ghosts. First, he sprinkled it on the trembling Makoto-kun, then Haru, then me. I stared at the white grains laying on my shoulders and hair. Haru took some on his finger and placed it on his tongue.

"Sugar." He says bluntly. I sighed, brushing it off of my clothes.

We entered the dark, cold building. All of the walls that were painted on were fading away. Suddenly, a loud sound echoed the halls. Haru and I were unfazed. On the other hand, Makoto hid behind Haru in terror.

"Wh-What was that?!" He questioned in terror. Nagisa turned around rubbing the back of his head.

"I kicked an empty can."

We walked on. There were footsteps followed by a shadowy figure in front of us. Makoto and Nagisa started getting scared while Haru and I just stared at the figure coming us. Haru's eyes got wider. Rin Matsuoka was walking towards us. He stopped in his trails. His eyes moved from me to Makoto, then at Nagisa and finally, his eyes landed on Haru.

Nagisa and Makoto were very excited to see him again. Their smiles quickly faded after Rin's words.

"You still hang out with them?" He asked in a cold voice. I was seriously angry when he asked that but, I couldn't show any expression. I didn't to stay any longer because I didn't want to see what was next. I probably already knew what was going to happen next. They'll try doing a swimming competition here...but there's no water.

"I'm leaving." I sighed and walked away. Once I got outside, I leaned up against the wall.

'What happened to his childish smile.... is it because of that time?' I shook my head and started walking home. I didn't want to get in trouble for trespassing.