The Stowaways

Nick Sievers' POV

Anderson gripped the back of my jacket and shoved us both out of the way of the incoming plane. My head hit the tarmac, and I clutched the side of my face as more blood gushed from the cut on my cheek. It felt like someone was slowly tearing apart the side of my face, piece by piece, but I knew I couldn't show the pain.

I slowly got back up to my feet and schooled my features. Anderson stood up and brushed herself off, exhaling heavily.

"We have to go," I muttered. "That pilot's probably contacting airport security as we speak."

I wiped the blood from my face and winced. Anderson and I began making our way toward the Hawaiian Airlines plane.

Soon, we saw men and women in bright orange vests working to get all the luggage into the brightly colored airplane. I glanced at Anderson, and she nodded.

We slipped in with the other baggage workers and began hoisting suitcases onto the conveyor belt into the plane. I kept my face downward so no one would notice my injury.

Finally, all the baggage was loaded onto the plane. We all stepped back as the loading area began closing off.

Brook Aldridge's POV

I nodded gratefully to Agent Conway as he stored my crutches in the overhead compartment. I leaned my head back against the seat and fidgeted with the frayed armrests.

Flight attendants paced the aisles, helping passengers struggling with their luggage. Families spoke in hushed but excited voices about the fun they would have in Hawaii.

These wives....they were so comfortable with their husbands. And the kids weren't afraid. They were able to trust their parents.

I really had failed my daughters, Lila and Henley.

I sighed and turned my attention toward the window. The expanse of a grand airport sat beside us, with glass windows stretching from floor to ceiling. Inside were so many people, so many different lives I would never know anything about.

But that was why I took this job. In a way, I felt like I was making up for not being able to protect my own kids. I would protect these people instead.

Yet I knew it would never be enough.

Conway sat down and buckled up. Suddenly, my phone buzzed.

"Anderson?" Conway asked.

I nodded. "We're all aboard."