The Decision

The door creaked open and I sat up. The woman I had met with earlier approached and sat down. God, couldn't they at least let me get some sleep?

I yawned and leaned back in my chair, crossing my arms. "You aren't my lawyer." I smirked.

Aldridge sighed.  "If it was up to me, you'd already be dead.  But people in higher places have agreed to your demands."  Ah.  So even the FBI director answered to someone.

I nodded.  "I figured as much."

The woman pursed her lips together. "We're going to take you to a briefing room. Don't get any smart ideas, because the FBI doesn't mess around."

I winked at her.  "Sure thing, sweetheart."

Three armed guards appeared in the doorway.  One hung back, pointing a gun at me.  The other two removed the chains and handcuffed my hands behind my back.  But I wasn't going to run.  Not now.  Not in enemy territory.

The men urged me forward, following the director out of the room.

As we walked past the window to my cell, I gazed at the empty seat and chains. They were just waiting for the next victim. And you how many had come before me? Where were they now?

A guard pushed me from behind, and I stumbled slightly. The man tried to grip my arm, but I pulled away. I could walk on my own. I lifted my chin and walked behind the director.

Aldridge's walkie talkie beeped. She held it up to her ear. "What's up?"

As she stopped, one of the guards put a hand in front of me. I turned toward him and glared.

We stood in silence as the director listened intently. Finally, she put it down and motioned to half the guards. "Escapee coming down the hall. Sedate him."

Some of the guards in our company ran ahead. They produced their guns as they rounded a corner. Aldridge motioned for me to follow her. A guard pressed their gun to my back. I rolled my eyes and followed the director.

She opened a closet. I raised an eyebrow and looked at her, then me, then her. "Ugh, no," she said. "You're going to hide in here. And trust me when I say you don't want to get in this guy's way."

A guard shoved me into the closet and closed the door. I squinted in the sudden darkness, the only light coming through the crack between the door and floor. The scent of cleaning chemicals filled my nose.

My eyes landed on a lock. I exhaled. The lock was on the inside. The guards couldn't have locked me in.

I pressed my ear to the door and listened intently.

"Stop," the director said. "You have seven guns trained on you at once. That wouldn't be a pleasant way to go to sleep."

There was a pause where no one talked. Suddenly, someone laughed. "No, I'm telling you to stand down." It was a man's voice. Deep. Gravelly. Literally the stereotype of a villain.

Aldridge sighed. "So it's going to be that way."  I heard the pop of knuckles.

There was a commotion.  Gunshots rang, people grunted as they fell.  I jerked back in surprise as someone hit the door and slid down. 

I shook my head. That was it.  I couldn't take it anymore.

I gripped the door handle and pushed.  But the person against the door was blocking it.  I frowned and pushed as hard as I could.  The door flew open and I was welcomed with pure, absolute chaos.  The person who I assumed was the escapee was in a fist fight with the director.  I rubbed my hands together.  Man on man, my favorite.