Chapter Four

Shortly after the New Year began, Andy learned that you had come to Calaveras County, but hadn't told him. I'm just as curious as he was: why didn't you tell him you were coming up, Gen? Andy tried to be funny about it, but I think his feelings were truly hurt. He wrote:

So that's the way you do Gen slip one over on me by coming up to Mr. Cooks and not letting me know anything about it. Until you get home. Pretty clever of you Gen, I'll say. Here I have been pineing my heart out to see for weeks and then you come up so near and I didn't get to see you makes me feel pretty blue.

~

Reading his next letter, though, I think I know why you were reluctant to see him:

~

Mokelumne Hill

Jan. 14. 1925

Dear Genevieve:

I received you sad letter and I am alfully sorry to hear that your mother died so suddenly.

I am also very sorry that I never met her.

But I do hope that some time I may meet your Dad.

I know there is no words that I could use to console you Gen. in time of such alful sorrow as yours.

For it is only time alone that can mend such alful sorrow.

Hoping to hear from you when convenient.

I am yours Sincerely

Andy

~

Death. I had brushed it with my fingertips as I touched your hand all those years ago. Did you do the same with your mother's? How pained you must have been, reaching out and grabbing her hand, just to hold it one last time, only to feel that same cold I did. Maybe you were too scared to. These are things I wish I could ask you about.

Your mother's death grieved you for the rest of your life, but many other changes were in store for you as well in 1925. You informed Andy that you were moving from Sanchez Street, but hadn't given him your new address. When he sent the letter above, he wasn't sure it would reach you, since he mailed it to your old address. But you got it, and a couple weeks later mustered up another letter for him.

Perhaps in an attempt to cheer you up, he wrote about spring, even though it was only the beginning of February. He wrote of the green hills and the wildflowers blooming, wishing you were there so he could take you wildflower picking. He spoke of finding pasture down in San Andreas and herding cattle there. He even mentioned the local dances, but assured you that there was no need to worry about him dancing with other girls:

I took in the dance last Saurday night. But as usal I didn't do any dancing or galloping around the hall as I am not very sure footed and was afraid I might slip and fall and have one of those husky gals fall on top of me and cripple me up.

There wasn't a very large crowd at the dance but they all seemed to have a good time. Now Gen you asked me about excircus. Well I haven't seen her for a long time and I won't be worried if I never see her again.

You also ask me if I still like her well I don't like any more than I ever did and that ain't much.

Now Gen don't ever think there is any girl that can take the place of that sweet little girl I met up among those lonesome pines last summer. And if I wrote to her as often as I think of her I would be writing every day. I am almost sure you wouldn't care to hear from me so often as that.