Chapter Ten

While it may not have been on September 6, 1925, you did manage to travel up to Calaveras County to see Andy again toward the end of the month. After an entire year of nothing but letters, you and Andy spent another few blissful days together. What was it like to hold his hand in yours, rather than holding a pen to paper?

I often wonder what you two did together. Did you go out dancing, laughing as you drug Andy onto the dance floor while he insisted that he had two left feet? Did you get to know his mother, sweet Rose Ann McQuaid, the doting Irish matriarch of the Fischer family? Maybe she reminded you of your own mother, whom you lost only a short time ago. After a day of horse-back riding on Jimmy through the autumn-crisp golden hills, did you sit side-by-side with Andy at his family's dinner table, as mother Rose Ann and sister Kate teased him until his ears turned red, and his father Martin Jr. asked you how work was? Did you take a moment to gaze around at the people surrounding you, thinking over your day, and wonder, is this the kind of life I can have?

You returned to San Francisco, and within a week wrote Andy two long letters and mailed him a birthday present. He had just turned thirty-three. And while he thanked you in a reply for the handkerchief you gave him, I think your visit was the greatest gift he got that year.

~

Mokelumne Hill

Oct. 4. 1925

Dear Genevieve:

I received the birthday present and the handkerchief this morning Gen thanks very much for you kind remembrance to me

You're a little dearling Gen and I just can't help telling you so. You're always so good about everything, writing me so many nice ling letters and everything and I sure do appreciate everything Gen very much

Please don't think I sneaked away from you Gen and went to Valley Springs. I thought I was doing you a kindness by letting you sleep as I know I kept you up late the night before. Believe me little girl I enjoy your company more than any one else and I sure want you to know that I do.

It's a week to-day since you were here Gen but it seems much longer than that to me.

I'm going to the mts to morrow to spend another month alone as I still have a bunch of cattle up there to feed. I think the feed will last about a month then I can bring them home and I sure will be glad when I get the cattle all out. So I can get home again.

Its getting alful cold in the mts now there is a big frost there every morning but I like cold weather much better than I do hot.

Its getting a little late so guess I better close for now. Thanking you again Gen for you kind remembrance to me on my birthday with a great big hug and kiss I'll say good bye

As ever

Andy

P.S. address your next letter to West Point as I'll get it quicker

~

"I thought I was doing you a kindness by letting you sleep as I know I kept you up late the night before. Believe me little girl I enjoy your company more than any one else and I sure want you to know that I do." What an odd, cryptic little statement, Gen. What exactly kept the two of you up so late?

Of course, it's entirely possible the two of you simply had a long moonlit talk or stayed cozied up next to the woodstove way past your bedtime. It could have been quite innocent and I'm seeing something that isn't there. Since the two of you were more than likely staying at his parents' house, the chances of anything happening between the two of you is slim to none.

However, if there's anything I've learned in life, being a Catholic doesn't always make you a saint. We're all human, Gen.

However, I do want to respect your privacy, so I'm not going to prod very much with this. Also, I don't want you to get your Irish up and give me a piece of your mind should we ever meet on the other side.

Regardless of how the two of you spent your night, I think what matters most was that you and Andy were together, finally, after being apart for so long.

Whatever happened during this trip, though, sparked a bit of guilt in you. Was it the way Andy looked at you in adoration, his blue eyes filled with love? Did he flash a little grin every time you did something he thought was cute? As you traveled back down the San Francisco, did these images churn over and over in your mind, trying to comprehend why on Earth Andy found you so appealing? What had you ever done to deserve it?

Unable to contain it, you poured your heart out on a letter, perhaps hoping Andy had the answer.

~

West Point

Oct. 11. 1925

Dear Genevieve:

I received your welcome letter last night and believe me I sure do enjoy them, every one. although I don't quite understand everything you wrote in your last letter, maybe I will some time though.

You say you don't know what you have ever done for me that makes me even like you, who writes me all those nice long letters who tells me she goes to church for me and is always telling me to be good, guess that isn't you Gen. How can I help but love you Gen when you do all those good things for me and remind me so much of the one I so dearly love. There isn't anything that I wouldn't do for my mother Gen. For I know there is no other than that can ever take the place of my mother, and I sure have a wonderful little Irish mother and I always try to make her happy.

She wouldn't be very happy if she knew that I was going out in the storm today though but I have to go down to West Point to get a cow so I'll mail you this letter while I'm down there, I was to West Point last night I had a nice ride down in a Star Coupe with guy from the saw mill

I'll have to go horse back to-day so I guess I'm in for a good soaken as raining here like everything and sure is cold maybe it might snow before night.

With a great big hug and kiss I'll say good bye and be on my way

As ever

Andy

~

I wonder if you compared yourself to Rose Ann in your letter. Did it make you happy that you reminded him of his sweet little Irish mother? Did you even believe him? I hope this letter reassured you, that when you read Andy's honest words, a soft smile appeared on your lips and that you pressed the letter to your fluttering heart. You were loved, Gen, whether you believed you deserved it or not.