Chapter Seven

It seems you kept in touch with many people while you were in New York City. How much of your time did you spend writing letters to people, rather than exploring the Big Apple? I love the letters from your brothers and chickee girlfriends; the Roaring Twenties slang shines in them, more so than Andy's.

You received a couple from your brothers, Ambrose and Gib (I like that name, Ambrose. Mind if I use it someday?), and another from your father, sort of. It seems he dictated a letter to a friend by the name of M.K. Hogan.

~

San Francisco,

June 30th 1925

Dear Gen:

Me writing letter saying how are you I am fine. Your hotel looks mean but not as mean as Omar Villa where I am going over the fourth. Five fellows are in the party + we sure are going to enjoy ourselves. I will miss you + Helen when I go horse-back riding but will make the best of it. I saw Ben Sunday Night + told him you were sorry you could not say good-bye to him but he said [that's] alright. I will send you a picture of myself + the bunch I will vacation with in the next letter. Well Gen I sure am waiting for my best sweetheart in the world to come back + enjoy old times with you + Helen. It sure is a relief to have my troubles over and be able to look forward to things where I left off. When you come back I axpect to have my little red Buick all polished up waiting for a spin, we sure will put it on mean. It is so much trouble getting ready to go away so I will close + make the next letter lots longer.

Your loving brother,

Ambrose, ever so many xxx

P.S. Gen send the mail to 22 Sanchez but don't put it in Lizzie's envelope

~

San Francisco,

July 14-25

Dear Gen: —

I was so tired after the holidays that I had to rest up for a week. I just drifted up the house + found your letter. It was so [crowded] at Guerneville we had to sleep on the ground. Every place is just packed. The dance was so crowded there was a line a half block long outside. I had a date with two chickens but could not get in. We sure put on the cats + my lady friends mooched a cup of coffee. I did the cooking + they all eat till they could eat no more. We had a wreck on the way through San Rafael + lost 7 hours, so we lost our [?] at Omar + had to sleep on the ground. The sun wasn't so strong + it was hard to take good pictures. I am sending one with my new flannels one.

We had such a good time, I was tired all week. Things sure are changed at Guerneville. When you come back we will have to make a trip up there. I saw Ben Monday + gave him your address as he wanted to write. I also got a pair of Tan shoes you won't know me when you see me. Let me know about when you're coming back. Al + Min are leaving for Santa Cruz Saturday. Me writing letter saying how are you I am fine. Will close with love

Ever-

Gib. XX

~

492 – Fell St

S.F July 8th 1925

Dear Jennie.

As New York is a long way from San Francisco your father asked me to answer your letter as about three thousand miles was too far for him to write to. He is in good health and so are all the rest of your dear sisters and brothers. Everything passed off very quietly around the Fourth Had a shower of rain in the afternoon