Chapter Two

Was Andy surprised by your letter? I think he was. How could such sweet little girl love an old miner like him? Had he remembered to shave? What kind of impression had left on you? What if you couldn't read his poor handwriting? He had, after all, dropped out of school in the eighth grade to help on the ranch, and writing wasn't something he did often up till then, when he was in his early thirties. These are the kinds of questions that seem to fret through Andy's mind as he wrote you in August, apologizing at the end of his first letters for his scribbling.

~

West Point

Aug. 1, 1924

Dear Genevieve,

Received your most welcome letter. Sure glad to know you did not [forget] me and don't think I doubt you as no one could doubt a sweet little girl like you.

It is sure lonesome here since you went away.

Although your letter cheered me greatly and will be waiting for one [quite] often.

Our folks were up and stayed a couple of days. Wish they had of come up sooner so you could have met them.

It sure seemed good to have home cooked meals again.

Here is hoping you will be able to read this scratching. I will close for this time and will try to write more next time.

Yours as ever,

Andy

~

West Point

Aug. 12, 1924

Dear Genevieve,

As I am going to town to-nite will write you a few lines. Being you was able to read the last letter will try to write a little more this time. Things are [proceeding along] about the same as [usual]. We had a fire up here a few days ago. I spent two days and nights fighting fire.

Now you want me to confess why I shaved off my whiskers. Well, the only confession I can make is I wanted to make an impression on a sweet little girl I met. Now I would like to know if I have done so?

I am still waiting for your picture. Any one will do for now. And I will try so hard to be good so that I may get one of your real pictures later.

I am glad you like the mountains and hope [someday] you may come back and scare me again.

I will keep my whiskers shaved off so that I won't look [like] an old miner.

Will close for this time. Hoping to hear from you often.

Yours as ever,

Andy.

P.S. Please excuse this poor writing.

~

He unapologetically, however, confessed his love for you from the start.

~

West Point

Aug. 16, 1924

Dear Genevieve,

Received the beautiful pictures of you and I thank you very much for them. I will send you one of mine in uniform if you would like one of them.

Dad has gone home and I am alone. And O? So lonesome just for you.

I expect to be here for about [?] months and then I am going to take a trip down by the sea to look for that sweet little girl I met not so long ago. As you don't seem to know who she is.