Chapter 8

Daokhan walks through, his face giving away his ease. He must have been really anxious after what we went through to get here. Andromeda and Bo follow him, respectively, not as eager to go inside. Especially after the haze snaps shut behind us. Strangely, the haze is much more transparent from the inside looking out.

Must be really useful to keep out the bad guys. Like those things we had to hide from.

We find ourselves surrounded by less dry summer air, and the heat isn't nearly as intense as outside of the haze shield. We are on a gravel path, and there is a much nicer ratio of grass to sand. The grass doesn't look too dry, either. Desert palms with bark tinted oddly red are scattered across the Oasis, and huts made of adobe clay line the paths. The farther in to the Oasis we get, the closer we are to what seems to be the center-point: a large pool of crystalline water. And in that pool is a statue just like the ones in Skyvale and at the clearing.

The boy talks to us as we go along. He seems really friendly, and he gradually eases me into a less anxious state.

"My sister and I have been waiting with Hugo. We weren't sure if you were coming, Daokhan, but we're so grateful you have. Hugo wouldn't tell us why we were having visitors, but it's been so long since an outsider came that we could care less!" he rambles, and I just listen, content to hear someone happy just to be here. He stops, and we all stop behind him.

"Umm... I'm sorry," he says, his cheeks coloring slightly. "My name is Arik. I know Daokhan, but I'm afraid all I know is that you two," he gestures to Andromeda and Bo, "are Aurora protectors and you two," this time gesturing to Anjulee and I, "must be Elementals." Anjulee smirks.

"I'm Andromeda. This is my brother Bo," Andromeda says before Anjulee can say anything. But she doesn't speak for Anjulee, so she introduces herself.

"My name is Anjulee, and I'm a Scout. So don't bother trying to get away with anything," she says pointedly. I frown slightly, but smile when I say, "And I'm Robin." Arik smiles at me.

"Nice to meet you all. Come right this way now. Hugo will be waiting!" he says excitedly, and we continue to follow. Anjulee continues to look bitterly annoyed.

When we actually reach the blue pool, there is an odd pair waiting, gazing into the waters. One is a tall girl with long hair the same color and texture as Arik's. She has a narrow nose, and big, green-blue almond-shaped eyes. She has freckles, but fewer and less bold than Arik's. She is crouching next to the water, bent over with her eyes fixed on something. The other is a small man standing upright, but gazing at the same spot. He has trim silver hair and an equally trim gray beard. He has narrow, glittering green eyes.

"Hugo!" Arik calls, and both of them look over, the girl looking very slightly annoyed. The man, however, grins at the sight of him.

"Arik! Glad to see you back in one piece," he calls jokingly, and him and the girl make their way over to us. The man's voice continues ringing in my ears, friendly yet mischievous. "And you've delivered our guests. Welcome Daokhan, Andromeda, Bo," he continues, a host in his area of expertise, even out in this desert. I wonder how the man, who I've guessed is Hugo, knows Andromeda and Bo if Arik hadn't.

As his eyes flick between Anjulee and I, he smiles and continues, "You must be part of the little team Daokhan is gathering. A pleasure to meet you both."

"My name is Anjulee, and this is Robin," Anjulee says, and as she points to each of us, I can't help but notice how much more welcoming she is to this man than she is to Arik. Hugo nudges the girl beside him, presumably Arik's sister.

"My name is Ada," she introduces herself, straightening her back and smiling at us. She seems more formal than Arik, but by the looks of the two and their similar names, I've guessed they may even be more than just siblings.