Chapter 23

After resting for a bit, we decide not to waste any more time going to Aurora City. Anjulee fixes up the girl with antlers using more of the qeikha bandages, and she gives Ada some thick gauze to brace her ankle with. Artemis has calmed down a bit, but still clings to my shoulder and doesn't want to be put down. I pick up my sword, and to my shock, it disappears in my hand when I pick it up. There's no telling when I'll see it again. 

The team looks ragged and tired, but we are more than determined to continue and follow through on what we came to the Aurora for in the first place. 

Bo offers graciously to carry Ada on his back while her ankle is injured, and she accepts gladly. Andromeda walks by her brother's side, still at the front of our little train, and Javier and Anjulee walk together and talk softly, trying to distract themselves from the battle they faced just now. I walk next to the girl with antlers, since I decided to let her come with us to Aurora City. Arik walks by himself just a bit behind me.

"How are your arms doing?" I finally say to her, awkwardly if anything. I'm not used to anyone being this much shorter than me. She smiles brightly at me.

"They're doing much better now, thanks." She stretches her hand out to me. "My name's Rose Eld. What's yours?"

"Robin Dean," I say, trying my best to echo her energy. "It's good to have you with us now, Rose." She nods curtly. 

"How'd your antler get like that?" I say, pointing at her broken left antler. "If you don't mind me asking." She touches the place where a sizeable piece has been broken off, her smile wavering for a moment. 

"Ah, that happened a few years ago. I must've been no older than 6, so at least 9 years past. Sadly, my species does not have horns that grow back or shed," she sighs. She shakes her head as though to banish a bad memory, then beams at me. She glances over her shoulder, her unbroken right antler glancing off my shoulder.

"Why is he by himself?" I look back behind me, and I see Arik with his head bowed, keeping pace with the rest of the team but not trying to catch up. "Didn't you save him?" I shrug.

"Kinda. He fought just as hard as all of us though, if not harder." She turns her head to face me once more as we walk.

"He protected us too," she comments absently. "Seems like a good guy." For some reason, my cheeks flush.

"Yeah," I agree. "He's a good guy."

"You should walk with him," she says suddenly. I do a double-take. Artemis chirps, almost as though agreeing with Rose.

"Am I that bad at socializing?" I wonder aloud. She laughs.

"No, you didn't do anything wrong. I'm just saying, he looks a little worse for wear. If you guys have already been travelling as a group for some time, it's a better idea for you to go cheer him up than for me to," she says plainly. "I'll survive if you leave my side," she continues with a wink. I sigh.

"Okay."

I slow down, letting Rose pass me and go meet the other team members. I return to my normal walking speed when Arik catches up with me.

"Hey." He nods to acknowledge my greeting.

"You doing okay?" I inquire timidly. He looks at me, his green eyes tired and dark.

"I've been better. But thanks to you, I'm alive," he remarks, a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. I smile shyly, warmth building up in my cheeks again. He cautiously gives Artemis a little pat on the head, and she nuzzles his hand in compliance.

"You were doing the same for me—er, for Rose and I before that darkound took you down. It was the least I could do."

"You and Rose, huh?" Arik mumbles. He gives her a quick look up and down. "She's a Nick. An animal hybrid elemental. They're really smart," he comments. He gives me a heart-warming smile. "I'm not all fun and games. I learned stuff from my studies with Hugo, too. All Elementals have to learn this kind of crap." I giggle. He sighs.