Chapter 10: A Man Consumed by Power

Nate had always known about the thing in his head-ever since he was old enough the comprehend it. But, he wasn't afraid of it, even talked to it every once in a while.

By the time he was 13, he had given it the name Natemare. It was a play on his own name, and the fact that the creature gave him nightmares almost every night. He didn't seem to mind though. The creature explained that it was something he had to do in order to survive. Nathan eventually got used to the nightmares.

In his Sophomore year of high school, he began seeing a girl named Morgan Want. They eventually made plans to go to the same college together-a high profile one that also had a great music program, that they had to take a test and have good grades, good SAT scores and everything else.

The day before the big test, Nathan was invited to a party with his other friends.

I'll just leave the party early and then study.

He made excuses. Over the course of the party, Nate had completely forgotten about the test. He had fun, and even got a bit drunk. By the time he got home, there was about 2 hours before the test would start.

Oh shit, oh shit. What am I gonna do? I'm probably just going to completely fail the test. Maybe I just shouldn't go. I could tell Morgan that I just got sick or something...

I could help. Natemare spoke.

"Really?"

Yup. All you have to do is let me in.

Nathan was unsure. Natemare had spoken about Nate letting him takeover his body, and just letting him "stretch his legs". Nathan did feel bad that he was stuck in his mind, but for some reason, the thought of letting him do that made him feel uneasy.

"I don't know..."

I won't have full control. Just a enough to help you out. Come on just try it at least. I promise you'll love the feeling. If you don't, you can always just shut me back out.

After a few minutes of contemplating, he made a decision.

"Ok, how do I do it?"

Just concentrate, and think about letting me in. Or whatever comes natural.

Sitting down, Nate concentrated that best he could. After a few minutes, he felt skeptical.

"I don't think this is work-"

A tingling sensation went across his body. Nate gasped. He didn't know what to think. He all of a sudden felt his energy, focus, and senses heighten. He felt like he could do just about anything. He felt...powerful.

"Ho-holy shit. This is amazing!"

Told you I could help

He could suddenly remember most of the advanced math and other subjects he'd been taught over the years.

"Oh, hell yes."

Nathan met Morgan at their designated place for the test.

"I'm nervous..." Morgan said.