Chapter 12

Jack POV

I awoke to find myself sitting in a chair.

What? Am I back in control?

But when I moved, I found myself strapped to it by my arms, legs, head, and neck. On my head were what felt like glasses of some sort, completely blocking my vision. Not even a sliver of light came through.

The room smelled of alcohol, and the light scent of something burning.

"H-hello?"

I immediately shut my mouth in surprise. I was shocked, to know that the voice I spoke in was not my own. It was a much younger voice, but raspy and dry, like a hadn't had a proper amount of water in days.

"Experiment Number 15," I heard a voice say, "Testing Simulacrum response to various stimuli,"

"I-is someone there?" I called out.

"Stimulus: Low voltage shock."

What?

"P-please help. I d-don't know where I am..."

I heard footsteps, and felt hands on my face. A small rectangular box was placed in my mouth between my teeth. Based on the taste, feel, and smell, it was most likely made from wood.

"Beginning in 3, 2..."

After hearing something like a switch or a button being pressed, I felt a feeling I could only describe as hundreds, no, thousands of needles puncturing me. My hands and feet shook as the electric current shot through by entire body. My felt my eyes roll to the back of my head. I couldn't even scream- only taking sharp intakes of breath through the wooden block I was pressing my teach against. I'm sure that if I bit down any harder, the wood would have given away under the pressure.

The pin-pricking feeling went away as the electricity seemed to stop. My entire body relaxed and I was left with a slight tingling feeling at my fingertips.

"Record results." the same, cold, heartless voice said.

The room filled with whispers.

"Next stimulus: High voltage shock."

What? We're doing it again?!

"Beginning in 3, 2,..."

Compared to this one, the shock before was more comparable with just a slight tingle that ran underneath my skin. It was as though someone just attached a live wire to each of my nerves, and my body went stiff as the violent electrical current pulsed through me. My heart and head felt like they would explode as I lost all rational thoughts.

It seemed like hours, days, months even had passed, when in reality, it had only been a few seconds. When the current was shut off, instead if just relaxing, my body went completely limp. I no longer had the energy nor strength to even attempt to hold it up. I would slightly twitch against my will every few seconds.

And as the people in the room recorded whatever data they were collecting, I thought to myself.

Why? What the hell have I done to deserve this? Any of this?