Chapter six

Please read my authors note at the end :)

***

 After Niall had disappeared, we all sat completely still on the sofa, looking at the fireplace in front of us. It wasn’t awkward, we were just all thinking, realising that in the next hour we will be singing in front of two people, trying to get them to choose us. And in the next twenty-four hours, Niall will be choosing who will go to the live shows. Only three of us would get through this.

 It was then that I realised that these girls were more competition than friends to me and vice versa. If any of them sing better than me, then that could be it for me, done... finished.

 “So I guess we should start getting ready then?” I heard Leah whisper. She’s so quiet sometimes that you can barely hear her.  We all seemed to snap out of our daydreams and look her way.

“Yeah, come on girls, don’t wanna be late.” Kelly said, taking the role as the responsible adult.

I stood from my place on the plush sofa and made my way over to the stairs, jogging up them, two steps at a time and walking into my room. I was panting. “I'm so unfit,” I muttered.

 In a way to distract myself, I thought of just about everything other than the performance. My family, friends, my dog and even chocolate fudge cake crossed my mind at some point.

 In the meantime, I got myself dressed into some watermelon print shorts and a white vest with a lace top over it. I matched it up with some sandals and jewellery.

 I took a moment and sat on my bed, checking the time. I had eleven minutes until we all had to make our way downstairs and watch eachother’s audition, this was when I let the thoughts consume my mind.

 What if they make me go first?

 What if I forget my words once again?

 What if the special guest doesn’t see the potential in me like Niall does?

All the ‘what if’s’ were making me dizzy but I couldn’t help but think about them. Silence and loneliness give you a lot of time to think about the negatives in life and in my case, it was this performance.

 Before I knew it, I had a cast member with an earplug in his ear knocking on my door, telling me it was time for us all to make our way downstairs.

 “Okay thank you, I will be down in just a minute.” I said, standing from the bed. I took a deep breath and the cast member left my room after nodding swiftly.

 I walked across my room and to my guitar. Yeah, I brought my guitar. When I play it, I feel like I escape into another world. I also felt as though it would give me an advantage against the other girls.

 Looking down at it, I picked it up and placed it eye level, “please don’t let me down.”

 Five minutes later, I was downstairs with my brown guitar listening to a producer explaining who will go on first and how it will be set out. They sure don’t show all this stuff on the show.

 Luckily for me, Melissa had to go first, she didn’t seem happy but rules are rules and I guess you have to abide by them on this show.

 “Don’t I get a choice in having to go first.” Melissa was letting her ugly side show and all of us girls rolled our eyes at her selfishness. You’re lucky you’re even here.

 “No, now do you want to do your performance or what?” the man that I learned was called ‘Mike’ said.

 “Yes, I'm just not happy about going first.”