chapter thirty-one

"where did you run off to yesterday?" ron weasley asked his black-haired friend as they sat together at lunch. hermione's face was buried in a book: her brown, bushy hair pulled back into a ponytail.

"i had a date." harry explained simply, because what was the point in lying as long as he didn't get too specific? it wasn't any of ron's business as to with whom harry had gone on a date with, but informing his best friend that the date had happened couldn't possibly hurt.

"a date? as in, with another person?" ron's blue eyes were wide. "you're dating again?"

"well, i can't very well stay single for the rest of my life just because ginny and i are no longer a thing." harry claimed, pushing his potatoes around on his plate.

"i understand that, but- who? who did you go on a date with?" the ginger-haired boy asked curiously. hermione's face was still in the tome, but she was obviously listening.

"ronald, if he doesn't want to tell you, it's none of your business. harry, don't feel pressured by him." she piped in.

"you're not at all curious, hermione? aren't you like, the queen of curiosity?" ron asked incredulously.

"i am, ronald, but i know it's not my business. if harry wants us to know, he'll tell us. won't you, harry?" she looked up from over the book, eyebrow raised.

"of course. and honestly, ron, it was just one date. i don't even know if we'll go out again. truthfully, i'm kind of shit at dating, and even though they've reassured me i've done a good job, i don't know if this is what i want." harry admitted, tapping his fingers on the table as he spoke. behind him, draco malfoy walked past, overhearing everything. his jaw stiffened, and he hurried from the great hall.