Chapter Ten

~COPYRIGHT 2017~

"Order up!" the cook yelled, pressing the little bell on top of the counter.

Bird rushed behind the counter and grabbed the plate of food. Her fast pace carried her to the table her customer was sitting at and with a smile, she left them to eat. She turned around and returned to the counter, wiping her brow.

"Girl, you're going to exhaust yourself. You've been working non stop hours ever since you started working here a week ago. I have to give it to you, you're good, but goodness," Tabitha said.

Bird looked over at her new friend, the owner of the diner she was now working at. Tabitha was a middle aged woman who had taken Bird in the moment she had met her. She had offered her a place to sleep and a job. Bird was amazed at how sweet she had been. Not everybody would do that kind of thing nowadays, especially in the city.

"I have to earn my keep somehow! And besides, I'll finally have enough money after this shift to give you something for letting me stay with you," Bird replied.

"I told you you didn't have to do that. Working here is doing me a big enough favor. I was desperate for a waitress before you came along," Tabitha said.

"I'm still paying you."

Tabitha rolled her eyes and waved Bird off. "And you're going to find that money right back in your paycheck."

"Tab-"

The sound of the diner door opening interrupted their bickering.

"Another customer! I'll take her!" Tabitha told Bird.

Bird was frozen in her spot. The customer that had just walked in and taken a seat at a booth looked very familiar. There was no mistaking that long wavy brown hair and brown eyes.

"No, I'll take her," she said, already walking towards the booth.

"What? Bird, you can't possibly-"

"I got it!" she yelled back, waving her hand in dismissal.

It was like everything was going in slow motion as Bird approached the table. She could hear her heart beating in her ears. The closer she got, the more she realized how familiar that woman was indeed. It was her.

"Can I take your order?" Bird asked her.

Still looking at the menu, the girl answered, "Um, yes can I get a Pepsi and the lunch special?"

Gulping, she wrote down the order and asked, "Is that all?"

"Hmm...yeah I think that'll be it," she replied, looking up to hand the menu over and froze. A large smile spread across her cheeks.

"Bird?" she asked.

Bird found herself smiling, her heart beating out of her chest. "Marigold, what're you doing here?" she wondered.

"Well hello to you too," she laughed. "I could ask you the same thing too."

"But...I thought you went home."

"Long story. How about I tell you all about it after you get off of work? We can catch up."

"Um...okay, but I don't get off for a couple more hours," she told Marigold.

"That's perfectly fine. I'll wait. I've missed you," she smiled. "Now, go get me my food. I'm starving."

Bird chuckled and walked away to put in the order with the cook.

"Friend of yours?" Tabitha asked her.

"Yeah, you could say that," she responded.

For the rest of her shift, Bird could feel Marigold's eyes on her. She couldn't help but glance over every once in a while and whenever she did, she was greeted by a large smile. She couldn't wait for her shift to be over and to catch up. She had no idea why Marigold was here, but she sure was glad.

~COPYRIGHT 2017~