Chapter Sixteen

~COPYRIGHT 2019~

Over the next few days, Marigold got to know all the family members. It took a little while to get all their names down, but eventually she did. Luckily, they all got along with her which was wonderful. She felt like she belonged here and Ami and Billy had become like second parents to her. Lorelei had quickly become someone she could confide in as well. It was easier knowing that at least someone in the family knew about the truth of their relationship. She had tried to talk to Bird about possibly telling her family, but they hadn't had one moment to themselves.

"Bird, why don't you and Marigold go take some time to hang out by yourselves? I'll distract everyone," Lorelei suggested.

The three of them were milking the family cow, having girl talk.

"Really, you would do that?" Bird asked.

"Of course I would. I know how it is, being in a relationship with someone and not being able to get any alone time," she said.

"Oh, you and Matt had PLENTY of alone time," Bird smirked.

Lorelei gasped and slapped Bird on the arm with a laugh. Bird laughed and smacked her back.

"You shush. Now go before someone catches on that you guys are gone," she shooed them away.

Bird grabbed Marigold's hand and ran off into the woods giggling. Marigold loved the sound of her laugh. She followed through the thicket until they came to a secluded area. Bird took a seat on a fallen tree and pulled Marigold down beside her.

"Ah, peace and quiet," she sighed.

Marigold laughed and kissed Bird on the cheek. "It is kind of nice to be away from everyone. Besides, I wanted to talk to you about something."

"What is it? Oh god, do you hate my family? Is someone being rude to you? Who's butt do I need to kick?" she started listing off questions, becoming more and more panicked by the minute.

Marigold cut her off by kissing her lips. Bird let out a little moan and kissed her back, pulling back with a smile.

"Wow, it's been way too long since I've been able to do that," Marigold sighed.

Bird blushed. "Yeah, I'm sorry about that..."

"That's actually what I want to talk to you about. When are you going to tell your parents that we aren't just friends?" she asked. "I know it's gonna be hard for you, but I'd really like to be able to hold your hand and kiss you when I want to."

"I don't know...I'm just...I'm just scared of what they are going to think," Bird admitted.

Marigold brushed Bird's hair out of her face. "Hun, your family members are the least judgmental people I have ever met. Hell, Lorelei already accepts us. Don't you think everyone else will?"

"I don't know...I've never done this before! You're the first person I've been in a relationship with. I've never had a boyfriend or a girlfriend. So I'm sure they aren't expecting me to be into women."

"So? They love you, they'll accept you for who you are. I'm sure of it," Marigold tried to encourage her.

"Yeah, well look at you. Your parents loved you and they didn't accept you," Bird snapped back at her.

Marigold's face fell and instantly turned angry. "How dare you," she huffed, standing up and storming off.

"Wait, Mari, I didn't mean that!" she screamed after her, running through the woods. "Mari!"

She finally caught up to her, grabbing her arm and spinning her around to face her. The tears rushing down Marigold's face broke her heart. She didn't mean to hurt her feelings. What she said had been wrong. She knew that. But her anxiety had gotten the best of her and she'd exploded.

She reached a shaking hand up and wiped the tears away from Mari's face.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean what I said. I didn't mean to use your parents against you. Please forgive me," she begged.

The other girl sniffled and bit her lip, trying to will the tears to stop. Bird continued to stroke her tears away with her thumb until they came to a stop.

"Please don't use my parents against me again. It's still fresh," Marigold practically whispered.

"I'm sorry, I won't. Everything I said to you at the hotel is true, they will come to you when they are ready and you guys will make up. I didn't mean to rub it into your face," she said.

"Kiss me and make it up to me?"

Bird smiled and pressed her lips to Marigold's. Their eyes drifted closed as they kissed one another.

"Girls?" a close voice said.

The girls quickly pulled away from one another and turned their heads towards where the voice came from. Standing there was Rain, staring at them with wide eyes. Although she looked shocked, there was a smile on her face.

"I guess the cats out of the bag," Marigold said.

~COPYRIGHT 2019~