Chapter Twelve

~COPYRIGHT 2018~

Bird and Marigold spent the next two weeks spending time together when they weren't working. They were starting to act like a true couple and Bird was becoming more comfortable. She really wanted to introduce this girl to her family. But that would be a hard thing to do. She hadn't even told her family, besides Lorelei, that she was into women instead of men. So how would she introduce her to her family, as a friend or as her girlfriend?

"What're you thinking about so hard over there?" Marigold asked, pulling Bird out of her thoughts.

They were eating dinner at the diner that Bird worked at. Marigold was looking at her from across the table with a curious look on her face.

"How would you feel about coming to meet my family?" she asked.

Marigold froze just as she was about to take a bite of her cheeseburger. She set it down on the plate and looked Bird in the eye.

"Are you sure you want that?" she wondered.

Bird blushed and nodded her head. "Yes, I want you to meet them."

"But what about..." she trailed off and Bird knew what she was saying.

"They'll just have to find out when I introduce you," Bird said. "What do you say?"

Marigold smiled and leaned over the table to peck her lips. Bird looked around, embarrassed at the public display of affection.

"Oh stop being shy. Don't you remember that kiss we shared two weeks ago?" Marigold teased her.

Bird blushed and then laughed, slapping Marigold's shoulder. The girl laughed with her and they finished their meal.

The rest of the night consisted of them figuring out how they were going to get back to the Bush. In the morning they would ask around to try to find a ride out there. It was going to be tricky, but Bird knew she could do it. She was ready to get back to her family and show them how she had opened up and discovered who she was. She was a new woman now and she was happy.

________________________________________________________________________________

The next morning, the girls got up bright and early and hit the docks. They spoke to every person they could, trying to find anybody that was heading in the direction of Hoonah within the next couple of days. Luckily, they found a sweet couple who could bring them halfway tomorrow. They figured out the plans and then left the docks to get everything together before they left in the morning.

They parted ways as they headed to their respective jobs to tell their bosses they wouldn't be working anymore. They both knew that it was rude to leave on such short notice, but this needed to be done.

"Ah, there's my girl!" Tabitha, the owner of the diner and Bird's friend, greeted as Bird walked through the door. "You haven't been back to the house much these past two weeks. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, I'm sorry I haven't been around much, but I've been busy between working my shifts here and spending time with Mari."

"Ah, is Mari that beautiful girl I've seen you here with?" she wondered.

Bird blushed. "That would be her," she said.

Tabitha smiled knowingly. She knew a lovesick girl when she saw one.

"Well I'm glad you're happy Bird. Now, why don't you sit down and we'll catch up. I want to hear all about this Mari friend of yours."

Bird sat down at the bar while Tabitha went behind it and continued working. They chatted for an hour or so until Bird knew she finally needed to tell her.

"There's something else I need to tell you..." Bird trailed off.

"And what would that be, my dear?" Tabitha asked, turning around to look at her.

"I'm leaving...tomorrow..."

Tabitha was quiet for a moment and then she gave Bird a smile.

"Well I knew you wouldn't be sticking around forever, but I didn't think you'd be leaving so soon," she admitted.

"It's time I get back to my family. I miss them and...well I want to introduce them to Mari."

Tabitha came around the counter and pulled Bird from her chair, pulling her into a hug.

"I'll miss you, but I know how important your family is to you."

"Thank you for everything you've done for me. I won't forget you," Bird said, pulling away from their hug.

"Next time you're in town, you better come visit."

"Of course I will! I'll have to introduce you to my family."

"I'm looking forward to it. Now go pack, your family's waiting on you to get home."

Bird gave her another quick hug and practically ran out the door. With a smile on her face, she headed to the small apartment Marigold was renting. It was time to pack and then rest. They had a big day tomorrow.

~COPYRIGHT 2018~