Chapter Two

Chapter 2

He was lying. I am sure that is not his name, but I will not push it. I will ask him later of the matter. There was a silence not even a beast could break. Then he said:

“Why did you save me?”

“Such a mysterious man. I was curious, thief.”

“I thought you didn’t want to call me that.”

I grin. “I didn’t,” too bad I’m saying this. “But I do not trust you told me your true name.”

“Do you read minds?”

“Maybe so,” I didn’t want to ask too soon. “Nevertheless, I will not make you tell me.”

Silence again. After a few more miles, making our way near the end of the forest, there was an inn. “We will be staying here tonight.” I said.

The little and strange inn was called “The Mead-Drinking Tree”. It was in the middle of the forest and only drunks and travelers would stay here. I was still in my black gown. I felt uncomfortable in it, it is rather abnormal for me to wear such a thing. I have many things in my satchel in matter of clothing. Those include this dress, fancy clothing, my light armor, a hooded cloak, mage robes and a heavy armor for extreme battle. I mostly use my Light Armor, it is black, well everything I own is, and it does not look like an armor. It is almost clothes. It’s not exposed, but tight leather. This showed my body shape quite well, with that suit I use black boots. They look like thief boots, but they match my beloved armor. The only exposed part was in the cleavage. Rather than that, nothing. I am always equipped with my shadow sword, a blackened ebony blade that is sharper than anything. Every weapon of mine is like this and it has a purple swirl, like a glowing snake. My sword, my bow, my own Ghost Key, my light armor, my heavy armor, my arrows and my clothes have this design; except for the hooded cloak, which I wear with my light armor when I am outside. The only thing that had a minimum of this shadow snake is my light armor, it has a small one in the belt only.

I also have some gold, food, potions, books and letters in my satchel. It is small, but it is enchanted.

We enter the inn and I see people laughing, brawling, dancing and drinking. The place is full. I look to the thief next to me as he removes his hood. He is quite handsome. His hair is brown and short, he had no beard, he had the appearance of a 25-year old, his teeth are straight and he has this mystery look on his face. His body is well defined; not too buff, not too thin. But I see he has a scar that runs from his tanned neck until the armor hides it. It must be from the left side of his neck until his collarbone.

I ask the innkeeper for two rooms. The lady says that they’re booked and that they only have one room available. How nice. Well enough, I do not need sleep, the bed will be his. I ask the thief: “Are you hungry?”

“Yes,” he answers.

To the innkeeper, “Get this man a stew, a piece of bread and,” to the thief, “Mead or Ale?”
“Mead,” he answers.
“And mead, your finest mead.”

“Aren’t you going to eat?” he asks suddenly.

“No, I do not have enough gold to feed both of us. Here,” I hand him a sweetroll from my satchel. “For desert.”  
I simply did not want to eat.

“Thank you. You’re too kind.”

“Save your thanks.”

I watched this man devour his food and I sigh.

“There is only one room available. I bought it for you.”

“You should rest, you did not eat.”

“The bed is for you and it is final. I shall go meditate in the woods after you are done.”

“Meditate?”

“Yes,” I want to know about him. “Anyway, where are you from?”

Only the laughs of drunken men are palpable by my ears for a moment. He finally answers: “Little Rock.”

Little Rock was a small town located between Wayrest and Daggerfall. It was at the shores of the Iliac Bay, right in the middle of the two kingdoms. This town is in ruins. It was burnt down by the Aldmeri Dominion a few years ago. Now I understand so many things about this man.

I said: “My apologies,” I sighed “It was not my intention.”

“It’s alright,” he said while drinking a sip of his mead. “Where are you from?”

I grin and laugh “You would not understand. I will not tell you yet, first I must know about you. I must know if you are what I am looking for. Let’s say I’m from a very far place.”

“I understand, you do not trust me.”

“I just don’t know you enough.”

“My real name is Gailen… you actually guessed it.”

“I knew someone named Gailen once, someone very special to me.”

“Who, if I may ask?”

“My best friend; he died on battle defending me.”

“I am sorry.”

“I should be sorry, Gailen. You lost more than what I did.”

“How’d you know?”

“Little Rock was burnt with everyone inside. You are alive, so you weren’t in the village at the time. That explains much.”

“My ill mother and my little sister died in the fire,” he coughed disguising his tears.

“No further. Do not think about it, enjoy the drink and the bed. I will be leaving now. I will be back for you at dawn, be ready.”

“Moon,” First time he uttered my name… it sounds so hurt, so distant, yet so innocent and warm; much like a hurt child.

“Yes?”

“Thank you,” he continued drinking his mead and I nodded and smiled. His olive eyes met my violet ones for a brief moment. I broke the gaze and stormed out of the inn. I put on my hooded cloak.

I sat under a big tree and tried to communicate with my mother. I could not establish any type of connection with her. I just hope she is alright. A single tear fell from my right eye as I began to sob. This will be a long and desolated night.